5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 4:40 AM by shunithD

Why do my links keep embedding everytime I reopen the file?

psypent81

Hey everyone,

This has been happening for quite some time now. I am on a Mac, Snow Leopard, 10.6.2, and on Illustrator CS4 (Although it also happened on my CS3)..I have a file where I have a couple of images, and I specifically linked them. Now, when I close the file and then reopen it a day later, all my links become embedded. I relink them again, and the same thing happens. Now, the weird thing is that sometimes certain files are kept linked, but 90% of the time my images get embedded. Has anyone else have or had had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Why do my links keep embedding everytime I reopen the file?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That is because of some confusing language in the ai save options dialog.

When you save the file you have checked to "include linked files" what this means actually is that you want the files to be embedded.

That is to include the link files so you do not have to send them separately as opposed to have the links included. Simply uncheck it and all will be well.

Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 9.45.43 PM.png

• 2. Re: Why do my links keep embedding everytime I reopen the file?
            psypent81 Level 1

You are a genius. Thats what it is!

Thanks man,

• 3. Re: Why do my links keep embedding everytime I reopen the file?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

psypent81 wrote:

You are a genius.

Do you really think so tell me more!

BTW you're welcome!

• 4. Re: Why do my links keep embedding everytime I reopen the file?
                psypent81 Level 1

Hahaha, well, here's another chance for you, maybe you know the answer, but it might be more of a mac question. Here it is:

Is there a way to have your computer remember the specific locations you are working in?

Let me explain..

I am working on illustrator, photoshop, InDesign..and everytime I want to open up a file, (In the adobe dialog box) the default view is the folder "Documents" I work on files that are on our  server, and before we got upgraded, whenever we brought up the Open File dialog box, it would show the folder we last opened up. Example: Say you open up illustrator, and you want to "save as" a file youre working on. Lets call it Test-File.ai..And you have it in a folder called Illustrator files, and inside that folder you have 2010 files. You want to Save As Test-File-02.ai, in that folder. But when you "save as", it starts you in the "Documents" folde. This includes files you want to place..Every single time I want to save into another folder, it defaults to the "documents' folder, which can get very annoying and time consuming..Is there a preference I can set or am I stuck with that?

Thanks man, any help would be greatly appreciated!

-psypent

• 5. Re: Why do my links keep embedding everytime I reopen the file?
                  shunithD Level 3

psypent81 wrote:

I am working on illustrator, photoshop, InDesign..and everytime I want to open up a file, (In the adobe dialog box) the default view is the folder "Documents" I work on files that are on our  server, and before we got upgraded, whenever we brought up the Open File dialog box, it would show the folder we last opened up.

Your answer probably lies there... I have no problem... as you didn't... probably at the server upgrade a setting was changed... try it on local disks and it defaults to the last used folder... If the problem persists, you could create a local folder and then copy to the network...