0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 5:12 PM by drewie22

FPS Style Collision

drewie22

Hi all. I've been trying to figure out the best approach for implementing collision for a first person style game. I've researched many tutorials on the web, including Dean's Director Tutorials and Resources. He talks about using modelsUnderRay for collision, which is great! But then, I see tutorials like FPS Havok by Lutz Westermann where he takes advantage of the physics engine to do all the collision. So I try that approach, only I'm using the physics engine Xtra that comes with Director 11.5. That works ok but it's just not 100% there. I even notice on Lutz's example when you go up stairs, you seem to slide a little. I get similar results. No matter how I tweak the settings, I can't get it right. I also, noticed you can ray cast on a rigid body or terrain for collision detection.

This is where I'm stuck. I'm just not sure what approach I should be taking to do this. I know there is always more than one way to do things but when I look at games like http://www2.rasterwerks.com/game/phosphor/beta2.asp I wonder how they did it. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.