6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2010 4:25 AM by tingvar

Cannot insert second lib item on same page (DW CS3)

tingvar

Hi, I am asked to build a website with 53 pages. My client, most likely, will come up with changes/desired extra pages in future, so I thought library items would be appropriate for navigation (correct? I am new to lib).

After inserting one library item (vertical menu with roll-over images) in a page, I also want to use this type of nav horizontally at the top of the pages.

However, DW (cs3) does not allow me to do so. This is the message: "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded."  The parent page is not a template, just an ordinary new html page. I inserted the vertical nav lib into a div.

I understood it should be possible to insert more than one lib item in a page, what can be the problem here?

Thank you very much for any tips, suggestions and help.

• 1. Re: Cannot insert second lib item on same page (DW CS3)
          martincou Level 3

Just to let you know that once you've update a Library Item in your site, you'll need to upload all files related to this Library Item to your server. If you forget to upload them, your users won't see any changes.

Instead of Library Items, you could use Server Side Includes. Your web server must accept those kind of files though.

For your particular issue, are you trying to add a Library Item in code view ?

• 2. Re: Cannot insert second lib item on same page (DW CS3)
            tingvar Level 1

Hi Martyn, thanks for your reply. I work in Split view, and tried to insert the lib item by using the Assets tab in the lower right corner (where all the files are listed and also the Assets and Snippets Tab). I put the cursor where I wanted to insert the lib item, selected the item in that Assets area, and clicked on the insert button at the bottom.

This worked fine the first time, but for some reason is not allowed for this second lib item.

• 3. Re: Cannot insert second lib item on same page (DW CS3)
              martincou Level 3

I had the same problem few days ago at work. I deleted one LI and put another instead. I was working in code view. When I tried to back in design view. I had the same message as you.

1. So I delete my library item in code view,
              2. back in design view,
              3. back again in code view and put the library item in place,
              4. and back in design view and it worked !

When you try to insert your second library item, make sure your cursor is after the first one (in code view I mean). It may try to place the second library item inside the first one... I don't know in your particular issue, i just guess ...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot insert second lib item on same page (DW CS3)
                tingvar Level 1

You know what? I stopped working with the lib items, because I found out that working with SSI is much easier!

Simply save the parent file as shtml, the file that you want to include as an html file, put a little code in het parent file, and it works!

(Server must be php complient). Anyway, thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: Cannot insert second lib item on same page (DW CS3)
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

You know what? I stopped working with the lib items, because I found out that working with SSI is much easier!

Same here.

I haven't used DW's Templates or Library Items for several years. I used to spend too much time having to find my way around the editables and non-editables. They just got in my way. SSIs are much easier to create and far, far easier to maintain.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

(Server must be php complient).

Not necessarily.

SSIs can be used on plain HTML pages, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET and ColdFusion pages.

The principle is the same, but the Include code in the parent page is different.

ASP and .NET includes use the same syntax as plain SSI:
                  <!--#include virtual="/includes/filename.htm" -->

ColdFusion
                  <cfinclude template="/includes/filename.htm">

PHP
                  <?php require_once('/includes/filename.htm'); ?>

• 6. Re: Cannot insert second lib item on same page (DW CS3)
                    tingvar Level 1

Thanks for the extra code lines. Good to know!