14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 12:47 PM by Dan Plonsker

No Timeline

Dan Plonsker
      I've imported a project from PP2 to PPro CS4.
      All clips are there but Timeline is empty. Tried to drag the sequence from the Project area to the Timeline area - nothing. Tried to double click on the sequence - nothing. When double clicked I see it in the source monitor fully edited...

Meanwhile I Manage a work-around.
      I Opened a new timeline. Dragged the sequence to it where it became a nested sequence. Double clicking on it opened a new timeline with the original edits. Can be worked on as long as I don't close it.

There must be s normal way to do it...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

• 1. Re: No Timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

When one Imports a Project into another, you just twirl open the Bins to reveal the Imported Projects Sequence Timelines, and then Dbl-click on those. They will then open in the Timeline Panel.

You might want to do some cleanup of the Bins, to get things neat and tidy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No Timeline
            Dan Plonsker Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

This wasn't a project import into an existing project.

I opened a new project in CS4 with one which was done before on PP2.

Dan

• 3. Re: No Timeline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so you just Opened a PrPro 2.0 Project in CS4. That process should have resulted in a conversion step, allowing you to rename that converted PRPROJ file. Did you get that?

The Timeline should have come into CS4, and because CS4 changed things just a bit, you would probably still need to Dbl-click it to open it. Prior to CS4, an empty Timeline Sequence would always open, but since CS4 changed things a bit, regarding Sequences, one has to create a Sequence, or Dbl-click to open an existing one. Similar, but with one more step.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: No Timeline
                Dan Plonsker Level 1

I got the conversion to CS4 and as I wrote all clips and sequence were in the project window,

but I couldn't open it on the timeline. No dragging nor double clicking.

It's very strange.

Dan

• 5. Re: No Timeline
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

That is very odd. Did you happen to get any warning messages during the conversion, or opening? With some older version Projects, PrPro has issued a few warnings, usually about missing Transitions, or Effects (often 3rd party), and even told me where (TimeCode) those missing items would appear. Anything like that?

Now, are you Opening this Project on a Mac? PrPro 2.0 was PC-only. The trick with those, is to find CS-3 on a PC, Open, then Save_As, and those will then Open in a Mac CS4.

Just thinking here, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No Timeline
                    Dan Plonsker Level 1

No warning.

I'm working on a PC Win7

I succeeded in converting another project from PP2 to CS4, which led me to think that there may be some file in the project that

made the problem, but when opened (in the work around method) everything was perfect....

• 7. Re: No Timeline
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, no Mac's in the mix.

I would tend to go along with your thought that an Asset is causing the issue.

Do you still have access to PrPro 2.0?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: No Timeline
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ironic that two helpers without CS4 are your only takers....  But I wonder how many people are trying to open a CS2 in CS4!

CS4 changes so each sequence can have different settings.  I wonder if that is the problem?

If you really opened a previous one without this issue makes me wonder if there is a default sequence that the earlier CS2 project matched, and this one didn't.

• 9. Re: No Timeline
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I haven't been able to determine conclusively whether or not the OP has tried starting a new CS4 project, then importing the Pr 2.0 project into it using the File | Import command.

If that hasn't been done, it should be.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: No Timeline
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think  he already found a workaround by creating a new sequence (in the CS4 project created by opening the CS2 proejct), dragging a "CS2" sequence onto the new sequence timeline, and then double clicked on the nested sequence.  He's curious, but if that's all the workaround it takes, that's pretty good.

And, yes, the workflow you describe looks to be the better way to maximize the changes of working with an old project.

• 11. Re: No Timeline
                              Dan Plonsker Level 1

Thanks Stan and Jeff.

I did manage to get it open with the work around.

But - I tried the way Jeff suggested and it WORKED!

No warning or questions about converting. it all opened with the sequence in the project window and when I double clicked on it, it opened in the timeline.

I still wonder why another project converted smoothly. No need to opena  new project and import the old one.  Well, as long as it works - I'm happy...

Cheers!

Thank you,

Dan

• 12. Re: No Timeline
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

It is probably an Asset in that one Project, or an instruction set, that CS4 is having an issue with.

Whenever Open does not work, the Import Project is just fine. It will end up with a bit more intricate Bin structure, and I just go in and clean that up. That is not necessary to edit, but I like things neat and clean. Unless I have a compelling reason to leave a bunch of "extra" Bins, I just move things around a bit. I do not like having to twirl open Bins, or entire Bin structures, just to get to my Assets. Neat and clean is how I like it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: No Timeline
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

Take a look at this THREAD. The OP was having an issue with existing Projects. See Wil's reply down-thread, and what turned out to be the issue. In this case, it was an Asset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: No Timeline
                                    Dan Plonsker Level 1

Thanks Hunt for your efforts.

I'm not sure that it's a corrupted file (I have no streaming files) as I tried Jeff's advise and everything works ok.

Dan