5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 7:04 AM by Goldenbusman

having scale issue exporting pdf as dxf for Solidworks/Mastercam

cdpd Level 1

I have a new client that need files converted from Illustrator (from pdf) to CAD programs as dxf files. When they try to open the file, the scale is metric instead of inches and way bigger. I have looked in preferences, set up, acrobat...nothing seems to show any way to edit scale when exporting. I've seen some forums mention converting to mm first and then exporting. Anyone tried that? The client can alter it on his end, but he shoudn't have to. The other designer who exported had no problems. I'm on CS2, he was on CS4. I don't want to have to upgrade but if that is the quickest solution, I guess I will. Any other suggestions?

• 1. Re: having scale issue exporting pdf as dxf for Solidworks/Mastercam
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

cdpd wrote:

I'm on CS2, he was on CS4. I don't want to have to upgrade but if that is the quickest solution, I guess I will. Any other suggestions?

I believe you answered your own question.

• 2. Re: having scale issue exporting pdf as dxf for Solidworks/Mastercam
            cdpd Level 1

could be the variable, may not be. i'm having another designer on CS4 convert the file and we'll see. I'll post back. Thanks.

• 3. Re: having scale issue exporting pdf as dxf for Solidworks/Mastercam
              ru73 Level 1

I ran into the same problem you describe in CS2 with DXF export. The only fix I had was scaling the AI file by:

3.937007874015748031496062992126 % prior to DXF export.

The above number is the conversion between millimeters to inches, which is:

1/25.4 = .03937007874015748031496062992126

Shift the decimal point over 2 places to get the percentage for scaling in AI

Ralph

http://www.dyeline.com

• 4. Re: having scale issue exporting pdf as dxf for Solidworks/Mastercam
                ru73 Level 1

Just got CS5 installed, and am still having the same scaling problem while importing DXF files into AI. Will this one ever get fixed?

• 5. Re: having scale issue exporting pdf as dxf for Solidworks/Mastercam
                  Goldenbusman Level 1

The scaling is due to the scale ratio. DXF and DWG use "units" which is a generic "unit" and can be anything. When exporting Illustrator must consider something a unit, so it uses points as a default. Here is how to export and keep the size you want.

EXPORT DWG or DXF from Illustrator:

Note: Illustrator will allow for open paths to have shape fills. For instance if you draw two sides of a triangle in illustrator, it will make a fill even though there is no third side. If you want closed paths, ensure they are closed before exporting.

1. Select FILE, EXPORT, DXF or DWG.

2. This is the easiest way. Set the Artwork Scale to 1 point = 1 unit. It is important that you select points for this step. Illustrator uses points as the 1:1 scale basis.

3. Now set the  Artwork Scale from "points" to whatever unit is actually in use. Illustrator will do the math and change the scale.

For instance, if you are using inches then FIRST set the Artwork Scale to 1 point = 1 unit, then NEXT select inches, and it will show 0.0139 inches = 1 unit.

1 unit = 1 points
                  1 unit = 0.0833 picas
                  1 unit = 0.0139 inches
                  1 unit = 0.3528 mm
                  1 unit = 0.0353 cm
                  1 unit = 1 pixels

Now when the DWG or DXF opens in Illustrator again, or a CAD program, the scale is the same. If prompted you can use the ratio above. I advise sending the ratio with the file. (e.g. 1 unit = 0.0139 inches)