3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 10:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Preset for Screen Cam?

epanska

Hi -

I am trying to edit screen cam video captured at 1024 x 768.  When I go to edit in Premiere Elements (I have an eval copy) , it gets a terrible flicker.  I now understand that I need to edit in a similar format to the capture.  It looks like all of the presets are targeted to video camera capture only.  Is there any way I can change the format to edit for what I need?

I saw an earlier thread about editing the presets, but it looks like that doesn't work in 8?

Thanks for your help,

Elizabeth

• 1. Re: Preset for Screen Cam?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Elizabeth,

Which Video screen-cap program are you using?

What is the FPS (Frames Per Second) Frame-rate used? That can lead to flicker, and yes, the Presets are designed for Video camera footage.

This ARTICLE might prove useful to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Preset for Screen Cam?
            epanska Level 1

Thanks for the quick response, Bill.

I am using SnagIt to capture the video with a frame rate of 5 fps (I'm learning the lingo as I go so please correct any misquotes) and it then saves to an avi.  The avi is lovely until I open in Premiere elements.  After reading the article you sent, I think the solution may be looking at another program for editing?  I really don't want to go to the full Pro version as the edits I need to make are pretty basic.  I'd welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

• 3. Re: Preset for Screen Cam?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would anticipate that the 5 FPS is the reason for the poor playback.

Not sure what the best solution would be. Yes, PrPro allows one to use the Desktop Preset and then adjust the attributes to match non-standard footage, but it is a pretty robust program, and anything but inexpensive. There must be a better way to get this footage edited, and in either PrE, or in a similar NLE, even if conversion is required.

I'd like to invite you to post to the Muvipix Community (their fora), as many subscribers there do Video tutorials, and use various Video screen-cap programs and maybe SnagIt. Some of those subscribers post here, but many do not, and some of those might have some great, helpful hints for you. One such subscriber is Chuck Engles, who does quite a few Video tutorials. One can post/read as a Guest, but sign-up is free. There are also many excellent items of Functional Content, articles on how-to-do, and the Learning Series, by our very own Steve Grisetti.

Good luck,

Hunt