15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 9:53 AM by Paul R Stark

Need troubleshooting strategy for PP CS4 repeated crashes

Paul R Stark Level 1

I have studied the posts and recommended links extensively in these forums and elsewhere in an attempt to understand why PP is crashing repeatedly. I have adopted a great many of the recommended methods and third party maintenance software, etc. The only thing I've learned for certain is that diagnosing these kind of problems is certainly complex and difficult. Here are some facts:

1. I am using the CS4 Master Collection

2. My PP project contains numerous different video formats (because the promotional tutorials strongly emphasized that CS4 could handle it easily), mostly avi but also some mp4's, mov's, and one wmv.

3. I have 42 dynamically linked avi clips with AE and 14 audio clips with SB.

4. The crashes only occur when I am working in PP (no particular operation), even with some or most of AE, Bridge, SB, AME, PS open simultaneously or when no other app is running. The PC has never crashed when working in any other app, Adobe or otherwise.

5. By "crash" I mean that the screen goes black followed by the Windows 7 reboot warning screeen (Start Windows Normally, etc).

6.  I have been using the same editing machine and CS4 collection since October without incident. However, perhaps as the project has grown (?), the problems started with freezes only about two weeks ago but has only been crashes for the last week.

7. System configuration:

Motherboard
      Asus P6TSE
      ProcessorIntel Core i7 2.66GHz
      RAMOCZ Platinum 12GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
      Boot Drive
      Western Digital WD5001AALS 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Intellipower Hard Drive
      Projects/Scratch
      Seagate ST3750528AS 750GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive
      Media
      Seagate ST3750528AS 750GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive
      Case
      Cooler Master Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP No PS ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)
      Power SupplyCORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
      DVD+/-RWSony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B 24X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
      Graphics Card
      MSI ATI Radeon HD4850 OC 1GB DDR3 2DVI PCI-Express Video Card
      OSWindows 7 Pro

My considerations:

1. Many contributors to this forum recommend converting all video files to .AVI. Is this really necessary? My project will become a DVD-Video.

2. I also have more than one audio format, a couple mp3's but mostly wav's. Some say don't use mp3's. Is this really necessary?

3. I ran the Windows 7 memory diagnositcs tool last night and it reported an unspecified memory problem. I started removing memory sticks one at a time and rerunning the tool until the removal of the third stick resulted in no errors after running the tool 3 times (with 2 passes each time). I thought I had found the problem until this morning when PP crashed again. I reran the Windows memory diagnostics tool again three times and no errors were detected. So I apparently have at least two problems.

Action options:

1. Uninstall & reinstall PP

2. Try a different memory tester (Memtest86?)

3. Reformat all drives and start over.

Perhaps there are other options someone would recommend. I do not want to take hours or days running every conceivable troubleshooting method in existence if a reinstall or even a reformat will do the trick in less time. But there is probably a logical strategy on how to go about this and that is what I am seeking.

With thanks,

Paul