8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 1:31 AM by mikko55

Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro

im20agn

I have a new Mac Pro with OS X 10.6.2, two 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors, 8GB of memory, two NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 video cards and a 27" Samsung monitor. I am running the latest version of Premiere Pro. Prior to this Mac Pro I was using a MacBook Pro and not having the problems I am experiencing now.

Pr stops displaying the video in the timeline and program monitor after first launching the program and scrubbing back and forth on the time line. Sometimes it gets so bad that Pr stops responding and I have to do a force quit.

I have all of my raw video on a separate 1tb WD hard drive and my audio files are on my main HD.

I have to keep closing the program and re opening it to do a few edits before it locks up again.

What suggestions does anyone have to stop this from happening?

Tom

• 1. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
          Harm Millaard Level 7

10.6.3, remove one video card, add a couple of drives.

• 2. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
            im20agn Level 1

I didn't specify that there are 4 1TB drives inside the case and a 2TB external to USB used as "Time Capsule"

So do I really need to add another drive?

I halfway suspected that the problem is in the video portion of the hardware. Can I leave the other card plugged in should I remove it?

Tom

• 3. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The Time Capsule is great for backups but not for editing. If you have three internals, disregard my remark.

I would remove the card and see if that solves the issue. If not, you can plug it in again and extend the search.

• 4. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
                im20agn Level 1

Thanks for trying. I was hopeful when I first pulled out the second video card got to change a couple of things on the time line but then it froze up again and now I'm going to have to do another force quit.

Could the problem be that Mac Pro is 64bit?

• 5. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
                  im20agn Level 1

So here is what I found out so far. Called Adobe tech support and was told my processor speed was to low. I was suprised because I have two quad core xeon processors each at 2.2 GHz. The Indian guy told me to succesfully run CS4 you need at least a 2.8 GHz processor. I'm hoping that CS5 will run better because it's 64 bit. What are your thoughts on this.

Tom

• 6. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Tom,

COMPLETE BS!!!

That Indian TS person was an absolute nitwit, dual Xeon 5520's are great and far outperform any single or dual core 2.8 CPU. I mean this from the heart of my bottom, as they say over there, that Adobe should use guys that have at least finished elementary school, not mentally retarded idiots.

• 7. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
                      mikko55

Tom,

I have the same configuration MacPro as you and exactly the same problem, after couple of minutes of editing Pr freezes and I have to force quit it. Did you find any solution?. Thanks in advance.  br Mikko

• 8. Re: Problems with Pr and new Mac Pro
                        mikko55 Level 1

Looks like this is SnowLeopard and Premiere CS4 problem rather than anything to do with MacPro, as I just faced the same problem when switched over to my old 24" iMac. I will roll back my iMac now to 10.5.8 to see as Pr CS4 worked fine with that previously (I am not sure if I can get my brand new MacPro to run on 10.5.8?). Actually I realized that I have not done any editing with PrCS4 after upgrading to SnowLeopard. I have had so many problems with SL with other graphics issues like calibrating monitors and proofing etc that I have kept 10.5.8 copy on an external HD just for cases like this.  Hope CL5 will solve at least some of these issues but learned now to wait at least 6 month before upgrading any business critical sw.

br Mikko