6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 12:57 PM by Jaxdad4300

Need help choosing system upgrade with PP CS4

Jaxdad4300

I'm looking to upgrade my system...and as most, I have many limitations to what I will have available. My current system simply takes to long and can not handle HD playback. It would be great if someone could help me choose, tell me if it will work or just give up and deal with what I got until a total overhaul is possible.

My software is PP cs4 and the projects I will be working on will include capturing both SD and HD, but mainly HD. I will edit and export to SD DV tape and DVD while a few projects will require export in HD. For reason's I wont get into, I will need to go with a DELL system and can only scrape up about $1500.

So with that...here is what I'm looking at:

PROCESSORSIntel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

MEMORY9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
      or opt for 1 TB performance RAID 0 (2-500GB SATA)

I also have a couple externa 1GB hard drives

VIDEO CARDATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3

or opt for ATi Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5

or ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
           or nVidia GeForce GTS 240 1024MB

Well this is what I'm looking at and it comes in on budget...will it get the job done or waste of time and $? or am I missing something?

I appreciate any input...I can usually make stuff look good, but have limited knowledge on the gear.

Thanks

John

• 1. Re: Need help choosing system upgrade with PP CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

The MOD's will probably move this post for you to the Hardware forum, where it probably belongs. Just do not want you to go looking and think that it has disappeared.

Now, one addition that I would make would be to have at least 3 physical, internal HDD's installed. That 750GB would be fine for OS and programs, and probably your Page File - actually it might be a bit large for that purpose. I would look into at least 2x 1TB internals. Use one for Projects and Scratch Disks and the other for media. In all cases, faster is better.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help choosing system upgrade with PP CS4
            Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

It looks decent. A couple of remarks:

If Dell offers the 930 instead of the 920 for at most $ 60 extra, I would choose that one.

If you can upgrade to 12 GB for less than $ 100 extra, I would choose that as well.

Get a couple of extra SATA drives from Newegg or similar and install them yourself. Possibly one Velociraptor as boot disk and 2 large SATA disks for storage.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need help choosing system upgrade with PP CS4
              Jaxdad4300 Level 1

Thanks you both...I'm feeling better about this now! Been pugn along with this old system not wanting to waste $1500 on a system that isn't and improvement.

So im going to check out to see if they'll let me upgrade to these suggestions. The additional hard drives they're push are $150 for 500 GB...I've not ever priced these so no clue...can I get cheaper and install myself?

Also what about the graphics card options and the Raid 0. I understand the concept of the Raid just a bit but not sure if its needed. I have no clue on the graphics card however, and have seen that to get good playback with HD in PPro it needs to be compatible.

Thanks again both of you!

• 4. Re: Need help choosing system upgrade with PP CS4
                Jaxdad4300 Level 1

BTW...this doesn't necessarily need to be a system that last for years...if I were to get a good 6-9 months (or through the next season) it will be worth the expense.

• 5. Re: Need help choosing system upgrade with PP CS4
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

John, you can get 1 TB drives below $ 100 from Newegg. Dell steals you blind on these things. That is why I specifically mentioned Newegg or similar. It will save you a lot of money to get them elsewhere and install them yourself.

• 6. Re: Need help choosing system upgrade with PP CS4
                    Jaxdad4300 Level 1

I'm getn a quote from dell now...thank you both...learned a

lot from this forum!