5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 7:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 Stopping at 2 GB

dice1036

When I try to render 15 minutes of HD into an M2T file, the program stops with an error message saying my resources are low. After numerous attempts I seemed to notice that the size of the video temp file produced was exactly 2 GB every time. Any ideas?  I am using a quad core processor with 4 GB of RAM.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Stopping at 2 GB
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First thing that I would look into would be the amount of defragmented free space on your HDD's. It would be very useful if you would list your entire I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, free space, controller type, format and how you have them allocated.

Next would be the Virtual Memory (Page File), how it's managed, the size and the location.

Then, I'd look for tips in this ARTICLE to free up more resources for the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Stopping at 2 GB
            Ed.Macke Level 3

Also, make sure the drive you're saving to is formatted as NTFS, not FAT32. In Explorer, right-click on the drive and select Properties. Look at "File System". It should say NTFS.

I believe FAT32 has a 2GB file size limitation.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Stopping at 2 GB
              the_wine_snob Level 9

FAT-32 is limited to 4GB, minus 1 byte.

But, if the Page File is dynamically managed, it can grow mightily, eating up a lot of space. If resources are limited to begin with, much activity will take place in the Page File. Also, PrE, like most NLE's creates necessary, large working files, that will be eliminated, when the Export/Share is complete. That is why I asked the specific questions, as I believe that you are on the correct track - likely an HDD issue.

Still, if resources are running low, tweaking the system of resource robbing programs and Processes, will possibly help - though not by 2GB of HDD space from the Page File.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Stopping at 2 GB
                Ed.Macke Level 3

Oops, you're right (as always)... the FAT file size limit is 4GB, not 2GB.

Still, seems mysterious that it always stops at the same size - makes me think it's some sort of system limit.

If it was something like running low on space, it might stop *around* 2GB, but not *exactly* 2GB. Somewhere in the back of my mind is rattling around some 2GB limit, but I can't remember what it is....

Well, we'll probably know more when the OP responds with details.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Stopping at 2 GB
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Still, seems mysterious that it always stops at the same size - makes me think it's some sort of system limit.

Ed,

I agree with you on this. There is a file size limit with DV-AVI Type I files, and I cannot locate that limit right now, but feel that it IS larger than the ~4GB FAT-32 limit.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that the HDD is too full, and the system is hitting that limit, due to lack of space. However, there could be something different happening too.

The first place that I would check would be the defragmented free space on the HDD. If necessary, I would clean it up and just archive some data to an external HDD, giving the program about 50-60GB of free space and trying again.

I strongly recommend at least 2 physical (no partitions) HDD's, and find that 3 will be better yet. I feel so strongly about this, that my personal rec. is a minimum of 3 physical HDD's for video editing. Some pull back, and recommend 2. With only 1 physical HDD, everything is fighting for HDD time and reads/writes will lag, causing major bottlenecks. This can be especially problematic, if one allows Windows to dynamically manage the Page File.

Hunt