6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 7:02 PM by 370H55V

Why is it so complicated to make the text-size bigger on my page?

W Dreamweaver

I can see that a lot of people can not find how to make text on their Dreamweaver pages bigger or smaller.

It took me an hour to read through pages and pages of instructions that got me nowhere.

I could not even make the existing text appear in the properties manager! I just clicked on

the CSS button to see anything about my text. Now I tried to raise the size it won't let me

do it giving me rule windows with instructions I know nothing about! Give me back my

MX 2004. What happened? Help please!

W.W.

• 1. Re: Why is it so complicated to make the text-size bigger on my page?
          370H55V Level 4

In the CSS panel (Window>CSS Styles) you can set the style for any text on the page.

Select a block of text, click the Current tab in the CSS panel, and click Add Property

csspropertiesmenu.jpg

You will see an enormous choice of properties to add to the text and set a style.

Once you have it set, you can access it from the Class selector in the properties panel at the bottom of the workspace layout.

classmenu.jpg

• 2. Re: Why is it so complicated to make the text-size bigger on my page?
            W Dreamweaver Level 1

Thank you CowboyInAZ for replying!

It took me a while to find the Add Property button (was covered up) in the CSS styles panel.

I highlighted the line of text (I am trying to make 1 size bigger) on my page (in design view) and followed your instructions.

The Add Property button is grayed out, clicking on it does nothing.

Under Summery it says:

No CCS property apply to the current selection please select a styled element.....

Rules:

No CCS rules apply to the selected tag

Properties:

Add Property is grayed out

W.W.

• 3. Re: Why is it so complicated to make the text-size bigger on my page?
              370H55V Level 4

Are you using a style sheet?

If you are, the text should have a style that can be modified. If you are using an external style sheet, it will have a button at the top of the page frame.

style.jpg

If not, you'll need to create an embedded style in your HTML page and then set the class for the selected text from there.

In the properties panel (usually at the bottom of the screen) click the CSS button:

cssbutton.jpg

Then click New Rule from the Targeted Rule Drop down:

newrule.jpg

You will be taken into the style editor and you can set the size, color, decoration, and other parameters for the rule, which will appear in your HTML:

<style>

font-size: 36pt;

font-color: #000000;

text-decoration: underline;

</style>

That's a (close) example of what it will look like.

After you set a rule, in the HTML properties panel, the Class drop down will have the class for the rule(s) you've just created:

class.jpg

I sent you a private message with a link to a short video on CSS for working with text. Check your inbox for it.

• 4. Re: Why is it so complicated to make the text-size bigger on my page?
                W Dreamweaver Level 1

Thank you so much for all your help CowboyIn AZ! I learned so much from you.

I realize there is much more I need to learn about CS4. Converting my site to

style sheet CSS, I don't know if there is an easy way to do that. I simply imported

my page prom my old Dreamweaver MX 2004 not worrying about style sheets.

Somehow I miss MX 2004 where you could just highlight the text and choose

a smaller or bigger size. Thank you again.

W.W.

• 5. Re: Why is it so complicated to make the text-size bigger on my page?
                  Mike_Watt

You'll find with some practice that CSS is miles and miles superior to everything else for styling your page.  Pick up David Powers book "Getting StartED with CSS" (http://bit.ly/c0DAF0

You'll be able to work wonders with your site.

• 6. Re: Why is it so complicated to make the text-size bigger on my page?
                    370H55V Level 4

Mike_Watt wrote:

...  Pick up David Powers book "Getting StartED with CSS" (http://bit.ly/c0DAF0

You'll be able to work wonders with your site.

I just got that book last week. David is a genius! look for his posts in the DW FAQ section as well.