3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 9:21 PM by Curt Wrigley

Color correction - match two scenes

rowby Level 1

Hello

USING CS4

I posted this question earlier this week but got no response.  So I decided to repost with a link to the video.

I need to more closely match the colors of the wall in this sample exceprt clip

http://www.youtube.com/user/rowbyville?feature=mhw5

In the wide shot the wall has a creamy background.  In the second close up insert shot, the wall is a harsh white.

I need to get the harsh white wall to match the creamy color of the wide shot.

For this test I have repeated the shots over and over and over

Thanks for any suggestions,  Perhaps a good online video tutorial?

...Rowby

• 1. Re: Color correction - match two scenes
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Use the Fast Color Corrector filter.  Start by clicking on the white balance eyedropper and click on the white wall.  Then tweek.

• 2. Re: Color correction - match two scenes
            rowby Level 1

Hi Curt,

Thanks for responding.

I am trying the fast color corrector.

I am wondering, after I click on the white balance eyedropper and click on the white wall -- is there a way I could use another eyedropper to click on an imported TIF of the other scene (or on another monitor)  so that I could "very easily" match or at least get closer to the actual color of the other clip.

Then at least I would be able to get to the desired wall color faster.

Or is, it, as I am suspecting, more than just matching the color...

I will also look on YouTube for some help on understanding the subtlties of all of the controls of the "Fast Color Corrector".

Your comments (and anyone else's comments)  are appreciated.

...Rowby

• 3. Re: Color correction - match two scenes
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

There used to be (maybe there still is) a filter called color match that is supposed to do what you want.  But I found it never worked properly.  

Fast color corrector should get you where you need to be.

• Use the white balance eyedropper to sample what is supposed to be white.  That will cause an offset to occur in your color wheel in the color correction filter.  In your case the one scene is too yellow; so it will offset to blue to compensate.   You can move it a tad more or less in the same direction to offset more or less.  
              • The non yellow scene is also simply brighter than the other.  So in the same filter you can slide the levels sliders to brighten up the shadows, midtones, highlights separately; Of the yellowish scenes.

The combination of those two should get you close.  If not; hollar back and we can get more detailed.

Curt