8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2010 7:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Capture format that is best to use

schuel2 Level 1

Hi,

I am wanting to use Premiere Elements but it doesn't capture from my Osprey 230 video capture card because I understand that it isn't compatible with Microsoft DirectShow.

So I am fishing around to find a good capture tool to use and so far I am trying out VLC Media Player and VirtualDUB on a Windows 7 64 bit OS.

What I would like to know is into what format I  should be capturing my video that would give me the best quality when I get into Premiere Elements to do the editing.

David

• 1. Re: Capture format that is best to use
          nealeh Level 5

DV-AVI Type 2 for Standard definition and HDV for High Definition. AVCHD is also available but needs a meaty machine to deal with it.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Capture format that is best to use
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Capture cards and cheaper capture devices usually don't interface well with Premiere Elements.

The best solution for capturing analog video is a DV bridge (which capture your video as DV-AVI, per Neale's post), per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Capture format that is best to use
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us the source of the Video, that you are wishing to capture. From there, someone can make definitive recs. on the best workflow and the recommended file format.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Capture format that is best to use
                schuel2 Level 1

My video source is composite video from a VHS player

I can capture uncompressed video in AVI format through my capture card and then that can be edited happily using Premiere Elements. However it consumes a very large amount of disk space so I would be wanting to compress it. At what stage would I want to do that and how? I assume that as soon as I do any compression that quality will be lost.

Would using firewire from DV camera (DV bridge) plugged into my VHS player give me better results? And if so, why?

David

• 5. Re: Capture format that is best to use
                  nealeh Level 5

SD footage runs at around 10GB+ per hour. Normally you would edit this footage during your project. Only in the sharing phase is a compressed output created.

Do not be tempted to work with compressed footage. Results will be poor and PRE may not even work with them. If that is your only source then you follow the guide in the FAQ for converting footage to something (DV-AVI2 or HDV) PRE can work with.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Capture format that is best to use
                    nealeh Level 5

schuel2 wrote:

Would using firewire from DV camera (DV bridge) plugged into my VHS player give me better results? And if so, why?

David

This is included in the FAQs as a conversion methodology. It works because the camera receives analog input but outputs digital video. i.e. the camera is converting the footage for you. Improved results are achieved because the bridge is doing the conversion through inbuilt hardware. Using firewire allows for a stable high speed throughput, seen by capture software (e.g. PRE) as a Digital Video Camera.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Capture format that is best to use
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Does you capture card allow for DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV? If so, and you wish to edit the footage, then that would be the best format w/ the DV/DVC CODC. The files will be smaller, by some, than the Uncompressed AVI. The files will still be large, but that is the nature of I-frame (every Frame is rendered and represented) AV files. Storage capacity is part of the task. If you wish to later edit, you will want to capture and Save in an I-frame format, and DV-AVI Type II is as good as it gets.

If you do not wish to edit the footage, then MPEG-2 would be a good format/CODEC, as it is the base for DVD-Video, but is not meant to be edited. This can also be done, rather in a one-stop process, if one has a VHS-DVD dual deck. Just burn a DVD-Video disc directly from the VHS tapes. Again, this is when you do not wish to edit and only want a DVD-Video for displaying on either a computer via a software player, or on a set-top player, attached to a TV set.

If you do not wish to edit the footage, and only want to stream it on a computer, or from a media server, then the DivX CODEC is a good choice, but is not meant to be edited.

Hope that helps. Do you wish to edit the footage later?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Capture format that is best to use
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

If one's video camera has pass-through capabilities, then it can be used to Capture via FW in PrE. This will create the DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Same for using a bridge, like the ADS-Pyro, or the Canopus/Grass Valley ADVC-110, or 300.

The beauty of using either the camera, or an A-D bridge is that you will get the ultimate files for editing in PrE, and can do this from within PrE, with no other software involved. Note: you will not have Device Control, as your VHS deck is connected via analog cables, but all this means is that one would start Record in PrE, and instantly hit the Play button on the VHS deck. I have one hand on the mouse, poised over Record, and the VHS deck's remote in the other, with the tape cued up to where I wish to start. At the worst, one will Capture a few black Frames, which can easily be edited out.

As stated above, and by others, you do NOT want to capture/Capture (capitalization indicates the process in PrE) in any compressed format/CODEC. Note: DV-AVI Type II has slight compression, but you will not be able to detect this.

Good luck,

Hunt