8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 12:41 PM by Bruce_B

Gray box visible before SWF loads

Bruce_B

My site is live at  brucebever.com

when you go to my site, you'll see a welcome screen.  When you click on the business card or the enter button a gray box, the same size as my flash file (720x720px) is visible in the moment before the flash file finishes loading.

http://brucebever.com/MainIndex.html#id=Bruce%20Bever%20Photography%20-%20Main%20Page%20Im age&num=0

Two notes:

1.  I have gone back into Slideshow Pro and re-exported the project with the correct html background chosen (white), but  still I get the gray box.

2.  When putting the newly exported slideshow into DW, I did it through the finder, just replacing all the old files with new ones of the same name...  with one exception.  I'm leaving the index file so I don't have to re-create it manually.  SOOO, this leads me to believe theres something in the index file that's tripping me up.

Is there a line of code I can change to make that box white?  I've tried changing practiacally every line of color-related code in the index.

Any other suggestions if that's not the fix?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
          pziecina Level 6

Hi

In your index file look for a param with opaque or window as the value, change the opaque/window to transparent.

PZ

www.pziecina.com

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
            Bruce_B Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply!

In my index file, I went to the Properties tab at the bottom of the screen, 'Wmode' is set to transparent for the flash item.  So i did a search for the words but nothing came up for 'window' or 'opaque', unless I changed the Wmode to one of those choices.  Incidentally, I tried all three choices in Safari after emptying the cache, and there was no change.

Checked the param.xml file, the pop.html file, and both js files (swffit and swfobject).  I found one piece of code in the swfobject file that used the word window as a value (0=window) which I changed with seemingly no effect... so I changed it back.

I'm sure you can't see all the code just by visiting my site, so if there's something you want to look at, just let me know.

Bruce

• 3. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
              pziecina Level 6

Hi

Unfortunately you are correct when you say that I cannot see all the code.

So here is my second "guess". Have you checked the background color used in the loader.swf file?

PZ

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
                Bruce_B Level 1

That may be the wrinkle.  I used Slideshow Pro (SSP) for Lightroom to create all my Flash content.  I don't have the Flash app on my mac, so I can't open those files.  BUT,  I did go back into SSP, reset the 'html background color" to white and re-export the show... to no avail.

Is there another way to open and edit that flash file (FF or Safari?)

Bruce

• 5. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
                  pziecina Level 6

Hi

Your previous post possibly supplied the answer. If you look in the object embed code, (above the </head> tag in the javascript code) you will see -

bgcolor: "#CBCBCB",

Try changeing this to #FFFFFF

PZ

• 6. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
                    Bruce_B Level 1

I think I found what you're talking about, but it's already got the 'white' code in it.

// SWFObject embed
                        var flashvars = {}
                        var attributes = {}
                        var params = {
                            quality: "best",
                            bgcolor: "#FFFFFF"
                        }
                        swfobject.embedSWF("pop.swf", "flashcontent", "100%", "100%", "9.0.0", "expressInstall.swf", flashvars, params, attributes);

Do you think I'm going to have to redo the whole page?    

• 7. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
                      pziecina Level 6

Hi

You may just need to clear the browser cache and refresh the page to get the new code to 'overwrite' the old.

PZ

• 8. Re: Gray box visible before SWF loads
                        Bruce_B Level 1

Well, I found the param var for the Flash background when you sent me looking for the full-screen param for IE. I just saw it sitting right there, plain as day.  So I changed it and the bg is now white as desired.

Thanks a million.

Why the heck didn't the code searcher find that piece of code when I was looking in that document before?  I searched for CBCBCB (unchecked 'case sensitive').