5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 6:15 AM by ENT-Matt

CS4 synchronization overriding new files with old

ENT-Matt Level 1

I use FTP to connect to a remote site.  I notice that occasionally a file on our server that has been left alone for some time will randomly be reverted to a previous version of that file.  We think we have this narrowed down to a synchronization issue with dependent files.  Another words, I open up File B which includes File A, and for some reason my local cache of the site does not grab the latest File A, but then replaces File A on the server with the older cached version when I save File B.  Now, I would just assume do away with "opening dependent files" alltogether, but it seems like even if I tell CS4 to NOT "get dependent files", it still opens them.  I can not find any option to NOT open dependent files.  So onward to Troubleshooting:

I begin following steps on this page - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405835.html - to disable synchronization...

• 1. Choose Site > Manage Sites, select the site you want to edit, and click Edit.
    • 2. On the Advanced tab of the Site Definition dialog box, choose Remote Info and "Maintain synchronization information".

Uh oh... there is no Advanced tab on the Site Definition dialog box.  In fact, Editting sites doesn't even pull up the Site Definition dialog box, but rather the Configure Server box.  I double-checked, yes, this article claims it's for Dreamweaver CS4, which I am following along in.

Ok, let's search some more...

Ooh, here's a page  - http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7ea 4a.html - with a blurb on how to check which files are newer on the Local or Remote Site.

1. Click the Options menu in the upper-right corner, and then select Edit > Select Newer Local or Edit > Select Newer Remote.

Uh oh again.  Rolling over edit, I do not have either of those options.  I only have "cut", "copy", "paste", etc.

Playing with the Preferences > Site tab, I can play with several options that sound related to my issue, but none of my preference changes are saved the next time I open Dreamweaver.  What is going on with this program???

• 1. Re: CS4 synchronization overriding new files with old
          370H55V Level 4

In other words, I open up File B which includes File A, and for some  reason my local cache of the site does not grab the latest File A, but  then replaces File A on the server with the older cached version when I  save File B

If you have replaced File A (older version) with File A (new version) in your root directory. Where is DW getting the old one from to replace the new one with?

Since you cannot have two files of the exact same name in the same folder in Windows or Mac, it is a physical impossibility that there are two files named "File A" in one location and that DW is defaulting to the older one.

Try clearing the dependent file(s)  that are giving you trouble from the remote folder and reupload them with the new versions. That way the File B can only link to the new File A.

• 2. Re: CS4 synchronization overriding new files with old
            ENT-Matt Level 1

Update:

I notice that in "Manage Sites", if I choose a new "Site", then I get all the nice friendly Advanced options (including whether or not to cache) that the first article described.  However, if I choose "FTP or RDS Server" (which all of my connections are), then I do not.  What I do get instead is a nice friendly pop-up informing me that "Server connections allow you to work directly on the server..." etc etc.  Why then if we're working "directly on the server" are we still getting issues with multiple instances of a single file existing?  One of the most common annoyances I'm running into is that I can open a file (which of course also opens dependent files), and then immediately go to save that file and receive a warning that the copy of one of the dependent files on the server has changed since my last 'get' operation, and that saving may blah blah blah.  Nevermind I JUST opened the file, directly after opening DW and Refreshing my FTP connection (and no one else is working on the site).  We've also seen where files and folders with a same name but different case will appear in the structure, which REALLY gives us some buggy grief.  If I have the file "css/mystyle1.css" on the server, but I open a file that links to "CSS/myStyle1.ss", it'll create that folder and file parallel to the actual folder and file, and any subsequent changes to the REAL file cannot be saved due to "a file already exists with that name" issue.  The obvious fix is to go through all my files and make sure my case structure is universal, but this bugginess is just absolute madness, and the synchronization thing today cost us some MAJOR changes to a file that has not been touched in over a week.

• 3. Re: CS4 synchronization overriding new files with old
              ENT-Matt Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Cowboy.  The "apparent" way that I end up with older and newer versions of the same file is that DW has apparently cached the entire remote FTP site in a directory buried in my "Documents and Settings" folder.  Nevermind this is supposed to be a "direct connection to the server" and shouldn't have anything to do with caching.

So even though there is technically only one "File A" on the server, my local comp may be holding an older version, which did not update the last time changes were made to the real File A, but DW happily copies File A back up to the server when I save File B.  I would absolutely love to turn off both Synchronization AND Opening Dependent Files, but none of my searches have resulted in a set of instructions that actually apply.

• 4. Re: CS4 synchronization overriding new files with old
                370H55V Level 4

Unless you are setting up a file server, (which you clearly aren't here) when you set up a site, you should not choose FTP or RDS server.

The wizard will allow you to choose FTP as a method for "putting files" in a few more screens.

You should create a site, point it to the root folder wherever you have it stored, and then continue through the set up. Choose FTP as the method by which you will put files to the server and input the login info when asked.

It's pretty simple as long as you don't try to read too much into the instructions and try to interpret what it says rather than following what it says.

I'll send you a PM with a link to a tutorial video.

Message was edited by: CowboyInAZ

• 5. Re: CS4 synchronization overriding new files with old
                  ENT-Matt Level 1

Thanks for the help.  That makes a difference, though it really doesn't seem intuitive to not use the FTP option if I want to make an FTP connection to a remote server.  Lol, I miss the good ole days of Opening a file, Changing a file, Saving a file, Done.  Of course I understand the point behind synchronization, but I think the process could still use some cleaning up.