22 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 11:11 AM by Intercostal

Audio effect for speakerphone

Intercostal Level 1

Can anyone recommend an audio effect within Premiere to add to a wav clip of someone's voice in order to simulate the sound of a speakerphone?

speakerphone.jpg

• 1. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
          Intercostal Level 1

It would be very similar to an intercom sound.

• 2. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Try the Highpass filter; adjust the cuttoff frequency to taste.

Edit:  Also try adding a bit of reverb on top of it.   Use the MIX field in reverb to lower the amount of reverb to a small amount (20-30%) .  bad phone lines often have a bit of echo

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Highpass is good, but I like EQ for this. After you apply the effect, look in the Effects Control Panel to the right of the effect's name; you'll see a small black circle with a tiny black triangle. This is the "presets" selector, and when you click it, you'll get a few different options to pick from. Start with the "1940" preset, and then swivel down the Custom Setup twirly to graphically adjust the frequencies and their amplitude. Phones typically have a pretty narrow band of frequencies that they transmit, so this is a good way to dial in the best "bad" sounding frequencies; plus, you can add in some highs to get a tinny sound, like noise in the line.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Curt. I'm still experimenting with your suggestions. I tried the Highpass at 900.5 Hz and it works pretty well.

The reverb will be a good finishing touch.

Initially, I was experimenting with EQ>Sweep Maker and it was along the right lines but a little off, plus there were too many controls...I wanted to keep it simple.

• 5. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

There are many ways to get similar outcomes.   If you happen to have soundbooth, I think it has some presets for "telephone" or similar. 

• 6. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                    Intercostal Level 1

Colin, I will give that a try as well. I hadn't expermented with the dials in EQ's custom setup.

Curt, I don't have Soundbooth unless it was bundled with some program I own. For a telephone,(a separate effect for a separate clip of someone holding a phone to their ear) I was using Multiband Compressor>telephone. It sounds a little muffled but it shouldn't be too difficult to tweak it for the right sound.

• 7. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

If you don't have an audio editor, definitely check out Audacity, available for the very reasonable price of free

• 8. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere has Multiband compressor and a preset called Telephone.

Ah: Intercostal beat me to it.

• 9. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the nice features of Audacity, besides that very fair price, is the use of VST's, with many available free on the Internet. Be sure to read the Audacity Help about adding VST's. Seems that there is even a pack of VST's available from the SourceForge site. As VST's can interfere with some Adobe programs loading, keep that in the back of your mind. To the best of my knowledge, those in from Audacity have no ill effects.

Seems that there is a VST plug-in with a name like Grungalyzer, that has a myriad of distortion settings and also a bunch of Presets.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you have several Clips, that will require the same treatment, one can set the Effects up in one, Rt-click>Copy, then Select all other such Clips, Rt-click>Paste Attributes. Or, one could put all such Clips on one Audio Track, and probably apply the Effect to that Track, covering every Clip on it. Some Audio Effects will not work at a Track-level, but I think that these will.

• 10. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                            Intercostal Level 1

Colin, I bookmarked Audacity and will look into it.

For a month I used the trial version of Audition for cleaning up noise on some clips but so far that's the limit of my audio editing outside Premiere. I also bought a $500 Sennheiser shotgun mic which alleviated a lot of the noise/quality problems associated with the in-camera mic.

• 11. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Audacity is great--it's hard to believe it's free. In fact, I probably go to it more often then Soundbooth, which I find clunky and weird most of the time. If it weren't for the relatively loose association with Premiere, I probably wouldn't use SB at all.

PS: Audacity gets updated WAY more often than any Adobe app ever will

• 12. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Just today a new version was made available. 1.3.12 beta.

• 13. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                  Intercostal Level 1

I downloaded and installed Audacity.

However, right now there is a Soundbooth tutorial I found for a phone effect(not speakerphone) which I'd like to test out in Soundbooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABCrVY8R18

On the Adobe site, the trial download is for CS5 which isn't out yet.

I downloaded a trial version of SB CS4 from www.softpedia.com/ but when doubleclicking on it Windows asks "what's the program I want to open it with?". The file name is ADBESBTHCS4_LS7.7z  . I don't know if that's supposed to be an executable file or not.  It mentions on www.softpedia.com/ that it is the TRIAL version.

I have the DVDs for Adobe Creative suite 4 but it starts out loading the whole suite. I just want to try SB CS4.

How do I get a trial version of Soundbooth CS4?

• 14. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

7z is an archived file, like a ZIP. Matter of fact, for years it was called 7ZIP, but probably ran into legal problems.

My Windows Explorer will Extract from 7z files fine, as will the free QuickPAR. There are also several 7z un-zipping utilities on the Internet.

Make sure that when you do Extract the files, you do so with the full folder structure. That is usually the default, but might not be depending on which utility you use. Just check that you DO get the full folder structure, when you Extract.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Adobe went from ZIP to 7z, as Mac's had big issues with ZIP, and 7z does not cause problems on either platform.

• 15. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                      Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Bill. I unzipped it with 7Z465.  I have the SB trial installed now.

• 16. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Good to know. Hope that it will get you just the effect that you are looking for.

It was only recently, that I found out that SB was only included with the suites. I was under the mistaken impression that it was included with PrPro, like Encore is.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                          Intercostal Level 1

Followup questions:

Is there a lot of redundancy between  Audition and Soundbooth?  Is one preferable?  Does Adobe spend more time developing one or the other, possibly SB more? Will one or the other be phased out and the other one take over?

• 18. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

When I did the beta for Soundbooth, it appeared to be a simplified version of Audition. Back then, it lacked Multi-track editing, but I believe that that feature has been added. Because of that beta testing, I just decided to stick with Audition.

Also, while playing around with some other Audio files, I happened upon a Preset for Speakerphone in Audition. I did not explore the possible settings, but the Preset was actually there (Pitch Shifting set, IIRC). I thought about your question, but could not find the thread to update - until now.

If I was doing much Audio, I would still strongly consider adding Audition 3 to the mix of tools. It is a great program and is so very powerful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                              Intercostal Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Bill. That is a handy preset.

The reason I asked is that I'm currently going on a video 'learning spree' at lynda.com and noticed that the last videos for Audition were made in 2007 and were for version 3. Then, I looked up videos for Soundbooth and the latest were made for SB CS5 in 2010. Also. after checking the Adobe site, it appears that Audition 3 is the latest version but is roughly three years old, unless I'm mistaken.

Maybe Soundbooth has caught up to Audition or will soon.

• 20. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Audition 3.0 is the latest verion. Version 4.0 is still in beta.

• 21. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, Audition 3 is the latest version. It is very similar to Audition 2, with some neat additions and a few changes. The release cycle for Audition is longer than for PrPro and SB. I cannot comment on how SB CS5 might have improved over SB CS4, but maybe Harm can shed some light.

As mentioned above SB has grown fairly quickly over its versions, CS3, CS4 and probably CS5. I'm just not sure how it now compares to Audition 3.

BTW - I picked up a copy of an Audition 1 book in the bargain bin, and have been impressed at how closely it works in Audition 2 & 3. Yes, some features have been added (not mentioned in this book), and a few locations/groupings have been changed, but nothing that a little mental interpolating can't fix. It's kind of like Jeff Bellune's EncoreDVD 2.0 book. Most still applies to Encore CS4 (and probably CS5 too). Obviously, newer features are not covered, but 100% of that book still applies - only those recently added features are not covered.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Audio effect for speakerphone
                                                    Intercostal Level 1

I agree Bill. A lot of programs maintain their core functions and you can still benefit greatly from previous books or learning materials.

A rare exception was ZBrush version 1 to version 2 which was truly revolutionary and had a significant effect on the FX industry.