6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 3:27 PM by Ann Bens

A note to those who need to edit FLVs

Colin Brougham Level 6

No, I certainly don't encourage editing FLVs, by any stretch of the imagination, but there are times when you've just gotta do what you've just gotta do...

I'm working on a client's project in which they're using predominantly stock footage that will be purchased from iStock. Instead of buying all the clips to begin with and editing with those, just in case my client's client changes their mind about some of the selects, I'm using the downloadable watermarked versions to do a first cut. All of the clips are FLVs, either as Flash Video 6 aka Sorenson Spark aka H.263 or as Flash Video 8 aka On2 VP6. The clips imported just fine into PPro CS4 and, though smaller than the final high-resolution versions, are good enough for a rough.

The problem was that these clips would play back sporadically--we've seen/heard about this a million and a half times before on the boards here about this issues. The clips would play OK for a few frames or seconds, then freeze, and then come loose again. Annoying, to say the least. I was about to convert all of these into something else (a process I wasn't looking forward to), when I suddenly had a thought.

It's been my experience that Premiere has a tendency to think that some types of footage or media have alpha channels, even when they don't. Upon closer inspection, that appeared to be the case here. Even though On2 VP6 does support an alpha channel, these clips did not have one. And the FLV6 clips definitely don't support alpha, and yet Premiere was saying that there was indeed an alpha channel associated with each one of these clips.

Ah ha...

The solution to the stuttering play, therefore, turned out to be pretty simple: I simply right-clicked on my footage bin, selected "Interpret Footage..." and checked the "Ignore Alpha Channel" option. Bob's your uncle, it worked. Immediately, the clips played back without so much as a single dropped or frozen frame.

While I cannot vouch for this technique being the silver bullet for all troublesome media, it is definitely something to try and certainly can't hurt. I hope someone else out there finds this useful.