6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 11:43 PM by LeeIII

how to stop adobe updater from wanting to update

sexydaddy1981

hi i have adobe reader and it keeps poping up i don't need updates for it what i have is fine to open my pdf files can anyone help with how to disable the updater from ever poping up in my tray

• 1. Re: how to stop adobe updater from wanting to update
          pwillener Level 8

Depending on your OS and Adobe Reader version: Edit | Preferences | Updater | check ' Do not automatically download and install updates'.

Also depending on your OS and Adobe Reader version, you may have to remove Adobe ARM from your startup items.

• 2. Re: how to stop adobe updater from wanting to update
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sexydaddy1981 wrote:

what i have is fine to open my pdf files

One thing to keep in mind, you really DO want to update now and then (not upgrade but update) since some of the updates fix security issues and other bugs in the software.

• 3. Re: how to stop adobe updater from wanting to update
              J-Williams2

either way this is an annoying feature especially when your are actually trying to work. Sure would be nice to have a button to manage the update cycle from the popup.  It would also be nice to have a skip this update button, instead of brute force constantly asking "Hey do you want to update?"  a few days later "Hey do you want to update?". Obviously the default cycle is also too short.

• 4. Re: how to stop adobe updater from wanting to update
                frigginirritatingupdater

~graffiti wrote:

sexydaddy1981 wrote:

what i have is fine to open my pdf files

One thing to keep in mind, you really DO want to update now and then (not upgrade but update) since some of the updates fix security issues and other bugs in the software.

the thing is if I update I want it to be of my own free will when I go out and download an update by going to the page like any normal update to any other program whether its made by adobe or not. Not having something popup every time I turn on the machine, restart, or open another program or even the help window in a program, it makes me use something else instead and delete your stuff when I have a proper alternative. im sure im not the only one who reaches this outcome.

• 5. Re: how to stop adobe updater from wanting to update
                  pwillener Level 8

Then why not just disable the updater...?

• 6. Re: how to stop adobe updater from wanting to update
                    LeeIII

If you are on a Mac I have a solution for you. If you have a Mac you don't need Acrobat, it's just slow extra weight trash. But sometime uninstalling can leave behind updater crap thats no better than a virus, shame on you Adobe.

Launch Terminal.app (you can use spotlight and type terminal)

Type: sudo nano /etc/hosts

Enter your OSX password when promoted

add a line in this file: 127.0.0.1   armmf.adobe.com

press <control + x> and save the file

What's this do?

Adobe some how has some weekly background installer that contacts the URL armmf.adobe.com and downloads update software and then prompts you to install it or cancel, never a "don't remind me" option. So this just simply blocks any request from your computer to this one URL. If the updater can't call home then it can't bother you with a useless update it couldn't find. Simple.

The hidden updater will still run and try to call home from time to time and I think someday Adobe should be sued with anti trust violations, but thats another day.