10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2010 1:35 PM by John T Smith

Premiere Pro 2  memory problem

persius007 Level 1

Hello.

I am requesting assistance in resolving what seems to be a very annoying problem.  I am in the process of trying to finalize a demo reel and I'm using some .avi clips which I rendered out myself.  The resolution for each .avi is  640x360  and there are 6 videos (no audio) in total with an average size of 160 MB.

When these videos were imported to PPro, I immediately received a warning "Prem Pro running very low on system memory".  I deleted all the current videos mentioned and imported some completed videos I made a few months ago. When I tried scrubbing back and forth with these new videos, there was no problem what so ever. I shut down PPro and launched it again. I imported some movies, short videos, images etc. and again no problem at all. Everything was running smoothly and cleanly.  Once I imported the latest videos, the error message appears immediately.

Just to provide some additional information regarding the renders.  I rendered them all out in .jpg stills and then in Flash, I created .avi files (the same way I did for all previous projects).  I cleared out all previous project files from the PPro directories and deleted all files that are no longer needed.

I'm at a complete loss as to what is causing this problem.

If anybody can please provide suggestions or even a solution, I would greatly appreciate any help you are able to provide.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When one is receiving memory, or resource errors and warnings, on a otherwise adequate system, it is usually an issue with other programs and Processes that are stealing either RAM, Virtual Memories or CPU cycles. This ARTICLE will give you tips on cleaning up one's system for an editing session.

If that does not help, then the complete details of your system would definitely be in order. Do not skimp on the details of any aspect of your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>each .avi is  640x360

You are, of course, using a custom project for those non-standard size files?

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
              persius007 Level 1

Hi John

Thanks for sending the checklist.  I did take the time to go through it. I don't know if I mentioned this in my original post, but with any other video clip etc.  PPro 2 works flawlessly. Regardless of what clip I import the program runs perfectly. The only problem that surfaces is related to the video clips I mentioned that are 640x360 and the only problem then is related to low memory.

I'm going to try one other thing and then I can provide the details of my system but I honestly don't think that will have any bearing on the problem. There is something about these 6 videos that PPro doesn't like.

Thanks again

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Are the 640 x 360 Assets being used in a 640 x 360 Project? If not, then are you allowing Scale to Frame Size? That takes processing power, and could well be putting you over the edge. The above linked article will give you tips on getting the most out of your system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
                  persius007 Level 1

Hello again

I didn't find a link with your last note. 
                  Something you stated caught my attention though.  I am using video files which are 640x360 but I haven't done anything in PPro apart from importing them. What are you suggesting I do once they are brought into PPro?

Would using a newer version of Premiere work better?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The link is in the word "ARTICLE." Just click on it.

Hope that helps, and let us know about your Project Preset with that 640 x 320 material.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem

>haven't done anything in PPro apart from importing them

Think of a project preset as a BUCKET... If you have a GALLON bucket, and only pour in a quart of liquid... it will slosh around

Since you do not have a standard size video, you need to create a custom preset so your video fits the "frame" and does not cause Premiere to do extra work

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
                        persius007 Level 1

Hi John

Thanks for the letter.  I understand what you're saying but I have no idea how to create a custom preset.  I'm familiar with the basics but not what you're suggesting.  Can you offer any suggestions as to what I need to do please?

Thank you

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem

Can't help with P2... from the P3 user guide (available as a PDF on the install disc)

All project settings apply to the whole project, and most can’t be changed after a project is created.

Presets

are groups of project settings. Adobe Premiere Pro comes with several groups of presets installed: HDV,

DV-NTSC (North American standard), DV-PAL (European standard), DV-24P, and Mobile & Devices. These

contain the correct project settings for the most typical project types. When creating a new project, you can either

select from among the standard presets or customize a group of project settings and save the customized group as a

custom preset. If you want full control over almost all the project’s parameters, you must start a new project and

customize its presets.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro 2  memory problem
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrPro 2.0, at New Project, choose Desktop for the Preset, and then customize all of the attributes to match your source footage. That will mean that your Imported footage will match the Frame Size, plus all other aspects. Unfortunately, this must be done at New Project, unlike CS4, where you can have different Sequences in a Project.

Good luck,

Hunt