7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2010 3:46 PM by anonmous

Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?

anonmous

Hello,

From looking at a variety of posts here in the forum, it would seem that the discard method is being used.  Is that true?  If true, does that really mean that if I import H.264 footage shot in 1080i30 (60i) into a Premiere CS4 sequence and then, via Export->Media, render it out to any format that is progressive, that I will essentially lose 1/2 of the resolution in the output?  On a somewhat related matter, is there a way in Premiere CS4 to output the fields as 1/2 resolution frames?  If Premiere CS4 can't do it, any recommendations for what can?

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That is correct. Look at VitualDub or Avisynth.

• 2. Re: Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

In CS4, the Maximum Render Quality option preserves the resolution, but at the expense of much longer render times.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?
              anonmous Level 1

Hi Jeff,

So do you happen to know which flavor of deinterlacing is used when maximum render quality is turned on?  In the book Real World Video Compression, the author states there are eight: Blending, Weaving, Area based, Motion blur, Discard, Bob, Bob & Weave (aka Motion adaptive, intelligent motion adaptive) , and Motion Compensation.  I have the feeling there are more than this (perhaps variations built from these core 8), but I'm just curious.

That being said, Harm mentioned VirtualDub and AviSynth (thank you Harm).  Is it possible to use my original source footage(s) within Premiere CS4 to create the sequence I want, then utilize those other tools to do the final export (i.e. use them to choose a better deinterlacing method), or is it ultimately moot if I choose maximum render quality, in so far as in the majority of cases the AME output would be indistinguishable from the output of a tool that gives more control over deinterlacing?

If I were to want to utilize another tool for the deinterlacing job, I assume that from within Premiere CS4 that I would need to choose some sort of uncompressed interlaced format, then feed that output into AviSynth/VirtualDub to avoid multiple compressing passes, does this sound reasonable?

Thank you,

Matt

• 4. Re: Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?

So do you happen to know which flavor of deinterlacing is used when maximum render quality is turned on?

I can't say for sure, but I know it's *not* Discard.

Is it possible to use my original source footage(s) within Premiere CS4 to create the sequence I want, then utilize those other tools to do the final export (i.e. use them to choose a better deinterlacing method), or is it ultimately moot if I choose maximum render quality, in so far as in the majority of cases the AME output would be indistinguishable from the output of a tool that gives more control over deinterlacing?

As good as MRQ is, the "other tools" will do a better job in less time.  Check out my dv2Film tutorial (which necessitates my Essential Open-Source Toolkit tutorial) here:

BDVS Tutorials

If you follow the tutorial but replace the "dv2film" command with "ConditionalSmoothBob("myfile.avi", DeintMethod=0), you can output an extremely high-quality deinterlaced video file.  Then you can run the file through VirtualDub, or if you're feeling really adventurous, install the Premiere CS AVS Importer Plugin 1.0 RC1 and import the AVS script directly into Premiere to avoid having to use VirtualDub and an intermediate (DI) file.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?
                  anonmous Level 1

Jeff,

Wow, fantastic tutorials (both of the ones you mentioned were very informative)!  So, if I understood the workflow correctly, if I wanted to utilize Premiere CS4 as my NLE for my AVCHD files *and* have the best possible rendering quality and performance, I would do the following:

1. Assemble my footage within Premiere
                  2. Using the Debugmode FrameServer utility from within Premiere, 'export' the sequence to a signpost file
                  3. Using AviSynth targeted to the signpost file served via Debugmode FrameServer, create a script file that does what I want (e.g. convert the footage to a WMV file and deinterlace via some method other than 'discard')
                  4. Open the AviSynth script file with VirtualDub and export via that interface

I do feel somewhat adventurous, do you have any experience with the CS AVS plugin you mentioned?

Is it just me, or is it somewhat incredible that the Premiere and AME workflow doesn't offer more control over deinterlacing?

Happy Easter and thanks again,

Matt

• 6. Re: Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?

Your workflow is essentially correct.  The only caveat is that the CS4-compatible version of the Debugmode Frameserver is single-threaded (last time I checked), so no multi-core or MT AviSynth goodness is available.  The DFS plug-in will be the bottleneck.

I've used the CS AVS plug-in, so I can comfortably recommend it.

MRQ deinterlacing in CS4 is light-years better than deinterlacing was in any other Premiere Pro edition, so I'm happy things are improving in that area.  I hope it gets still better in CS5.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Which deinterlacing method does Premiere Pro CS4 use?
                      anonmous Level 1

Jeff, again, thanks for your help.

Matt