3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2010 8:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Imported Photos Over-saturated

Taverino Level 2

I'm importing photos into a PPro CS4 sequence. Once there, they are way more saturated than the source file. Here is my work flow on a Mac running OSX 10.5.8

- RAW photo imported into Lightroom and touched up in the Develop module

- Exported to a JPG file. When the JPG file is viewed on the monitor, side-by-side with the image in LR, the saturation seems identical.

- Imported into Premiere. Image in source monitor, program monitor, and rendered video is over-saturated.

When exporting from LR, I have tried both sRGB and AdobeRGB color spaces. Monitor has just been carefully calibrated. Here is a screen shot. The bottomi shows the exported JPG as rendered by the OS. The top is the PPro reference monitor of the same file after import into PPro. I hope the difference is noticeable after uploading and then viewing in your browser. It is VERY apparent on my monitor.

LittleSnapper.jpg

• 1. Re: Imported Photos Over-saturated
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, I would use PSD, instead of JPEG, as you will get no compression in the image. I would size that PSD to approximately the Frame Size needed, so that PrPro does not have to Scale it. The Scaling algorithms in LR and PS are better, than those in PrPro, and offer more Scaling choices.

Next, your LR space is color managed, while PrPro's is not. This is probably the reason that you are seeing the difference. To do Color Grading in PrPro, one needs to feed the signal, via FW to an A-D device, that feeds the analog signal to a calibrated NTSC (or PAL) monitor. The Program Monitor, besides not being color managed, is but an emulation, a preview.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Imported Photos Over-saturated
            Taverino Level 2

Bill,

Changing LR to export a PSD rather than a JPG worked perfectly. Colors in PPro now exactly as I want. Also, thank you for scaling hint. That was going to be my next question!

Thanks again for the help.

• 3. Re: Imported Photos Over-saturated
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Now, I am personally biased against JPEG, but that comes from decades of print advertising work. I only use that format, when a client needs material for their Web site, and then use PNG more often now. Once, browsers had issues with PNG, but most of those are long retired.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt