3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2010 7:02 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Does Live Paint support brushes?

toymaker1 Level 1

I am a bit confused by something I have read on page 109 of "Real World Illustrator CS4" by Mordy Golding.

It says that the Live Paint feature doesn't support brushes, and converting a brushed path to a Live Paint group results in the loss of the appearance of the brush.

However, I have done a drawing in Illustrator CS4 with the brush tool, (a hand drawn trace of a scanned drawing/template) which I converted into a Live Paint group and filled with colors. It seems fine to me and I can clearly see the brush strokes. Can anyone explain this to me?

Peter de Wit

• 1. Re: Does Live Paint support brushes?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You're Delusional, completely mad and imagining things! Seek help!

Orr look at the video and see if that explains that you are probably using the blob brush. Or you have expanded the art before turning it into a  Live  Paint Group.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/BrushLive.mov

• 2. Re: Does Live Paint support brushes?
            toymaker1 Level 1

Hello Wade

I did a drawing using the brush tool and made it into a Live Paint group. I colored it in, and the outline of the drawing was a stroke of my chosen width and chosen color. That was the result I wanted, obtained with the brush tool. So I am still confused by Page 109. I'm obviously not understanding something.

Regards

Peter de Wit

• 3. Re: Does Live Paint support brushes?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That is not what you did even if you think you did.

What you di was to use the Blob Brush and not the brush too and you turned that into a live paint group.

then you filled the inside space of the path with a color and then painted the outside path with a colored stroke.

This is a blob bush bottom and brush above.

On top a stroke made with the brush tool The bottom a blob brish.

Screen shot 2010-04-03 at 9.44.54 PM.png

Below when turning them into a live paint group and attempting to change the color the path painted by the brush loses it brush. The blob brush you can change color of the fill or the stroke.

Screen shot 2010-04-03 at 9.46.39 PM.png

This is also the blob brush.

Screen shot 2010-04-03 at 9.50.30 PM.png