10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 5:13 PM by the_wine_snob

premiere 7 crashes at startup....

sonynut

premiere elements has experienced a problem and

has to shut down....

i have uninstalled and reinstalled deleted everything a reinstalled...wtf......this sucks........adobe's idea of troubleshooting is getting 8.0....

i just bought this one for 150 bucks. what a pile of crap

• 1. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
          sonynut Level 1

here is the exact wording....

sorry, a serious error has occurred the requires adobe premiere elements to shut down. we will atempt to save your current project.

• 2. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You have not really given us any information we can work with, Sony. (By the way, does your logon name indicate that you're using a Sony VAIO computer? That could be one of your problems.)

What operating system are you using? Have you gone manually to Windows Update to ensure you have all of the latest updates, including the non-critical ones?

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's instructions?

How fast is your processor? How much RAM do you have and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Have you added video to your project when the crash occurs? If so, what kind of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

Although it's hard to tell from your original post if  you're actually looking for help or you just want to trash the program.

• 3. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>just bought this one for 150 bucks

If you can't get it to work, with the help of the other users in this Adobe supplied space, Adobe has a 30 day refund policy

Also, this is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
              A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 4. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Please take a look at this ARTICLE to see the types of info that will be very useful to use, as we try to diagnose and cure your issue.

This ARTICLE has some tips on getting one's computer ready for a Video editing session, and frees up maximum resources.

When a program crashes, hangs, or prematurely closes, there is often a breadcrumb trail left behind. This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding clues in that breadcrumb trail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
                  sonynut Level 1

hp dual core

4 gb

1000 gb hd

it's been working fine till i made an hour long video..then ever since it has given error....i have been able to get in randomly but most of the time i get an error....i went through and dumped everyrthing...every video..adobe program. everything....reloaded...and same error...tried the shift key..same thing...

• 6. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
                    CMCoyne5

Hi, Steve.

I am actually seeing similar behavior.  The error occurs whether I try to open an existing project or start a new one.  I am currently running Vista (I know, I know), but it works intermittently.  In fact, last night I was working on a project, but this morning when I tried to laucnh it, I kept getting the error.  I have projects that were created in V2.0, V4.0 and V7.0.  From what I can tell, it doesn't matter which one I try to launch, I get the error.  If anything, I have the most luck when trying to open projects created in V2.0 (which I don't really want to work on, I was just opening it to see if I could).

I do have all the lastest updates.  Are there any know reasons for this?  Upgrading from 2.0 to 4.0 to 7.0...could that have something to do with it?  Are there things I should remove?

Thanks, Steve.  Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

• 7. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      then ever since it has given error...

What is the exact wording of the error?

Hunt

• 8. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        From what I can tell, it doesn't matter which one I try to launch, I get the error.

As with the OP, what is your error message?

Hunt

• 9. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
                          CMCoyne5 Level 1

Thank you, Bill.  The error message is "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Premiere Elements to be shut down. We will attempt to save your current project"

• 10. Re: premiere 7 crashes at startup....
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that info.

When a program, or system crashes, or hangs, there is often a breadcrumb trail left behind. This ARTICLE will give tips for finding clues in those breadcrumbs. In this search, Event Viewer is your friend. I would immediately look for any/all error, and warning messages, just before, and at the time of the crash. Any links should be followed fully. This takes patience as many will just be cryptic code, that no one understands - not even the engineers at MS. Often, the cause will be revealed, or maybe one will just get clues to develop an idea of what is going on.

Good luck,

Hunt