7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 9:24 AM by the_wine_snob

unable to make selections Premiere CS4

drfun_59

I am using Premiere Pro CS4 on Windows 7 64 bit. When opening a new
      project, I am unable to change from most of the default responses whether that be changing the settings for video or saving over previous files of the
      same name. Some buttons can be mouse clicked, others not.

When I get into the program by accepting all of
      the suggested settings, when I try to drag something to the timeline, the audio and video display zooms to full size.  Also unable to change duration/time settings.

I used premiere on existing projects and created a new project a week ago. All was well.

There have been additional software installations this week involving audio production (Audacity and Ableton Live).  I have tried reinstalling Premiere - no luck.  Also tried system configuration refinements suggested at: www.blackviper.com:windows7serviceconfigurations
        and ran CCleaner to delete any registry items and temp files left over.

This is a new build system about 2 weeks old running well on everything else including other CS4 products that I've used.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I don't really have the $175 for a support contract at the moment!

Additional system specs are:

Operating System: Windows NT

Version: 6.1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3066 MHz

Video Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Card Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

OpenGL Drawing: Disabled.

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Driver: atiu9p64 aticfx64 aticfx64 atiu9pag aticfx32 aticfx32 atiumd64 atidxx64 atidxx64 atiumdag atidxx32 atidxx32 atiumdva atiumd6a atitmm64

Driver Version: 8.702.0.0

Built-in memory: 6132 MB

Free memory: 4241 MB

• 1. Re: unable to make selections Premiere CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Would it be too much to ask for ACCURATE details on your system?

I am using Premiere Pro CS4 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Operating System: Windows NT

Version: 6.1

So what is it? NT or 7?

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

So which CPU? Since SSE 3, 3S, 4.1 and 4.2 are missing it is not very recent.

Your video driver is out of date. 8.712.0 would be recent.

• 2. Re: unable to make selections Premiere CS4
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I am wondering if you are doing New Project with the proper Preset.

To be able to alter the attributes of a Preset, you need to choose the Desktop Preset. That will get you dialog screens, were you CAN adjust Frame Size, FPS, etc. Other Presets are fixed, in that you cannot make any such changes.

Can you confirm that you have first chosen the Desktop Preset?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: unable to make selections Premiere CS4
              drfun_59 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.....

The information  that I offered about the system is what Photoshop offers when you click  for 'System info'....I just copied and pasted.

The system is Windows 7  64 bit with all current updates as of yesterday.

My cpu is an Intel i7 950 processor....quad core on a X58 extreme motherboard.

I'll double check the video driver, though that seems to be no problem at this point....

• 4. Re: unable to make selections Premiere CS4
                drfun_59 Level 1

Thanks for your response and welcome, Bill!

Unfortunately, when starting a new project it won't let me make a selection for the presets most of the time.  I've tried it a number of times and on about 4 out of 5 times, it doesn't allow me to change what comes up 'pre-selected'....which is not what I wanted, of course!

Also, the projects that were working last weekend and produced working DVDs are not functional now with the same issues...  as I try to make any changes, either I am unable to make selections in most menus other than the default and when I drag resources to the timeline, it zooms to supersize within the confines of its window. (when I use the scroll bar to the right of the audio or video, then the size returns to normal)

I've been working in Premiere for just under 2 years so I'm fairly familiar with at least the basics.  Just can't figure what happened between last weekend when I was bragging about the speed and smoothness of CS4 on my new system to this! 

• 5. Re: unable to make selections Premiere CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

From the Preset drop-down, choose Desktop.

Now, you should have something like More, Next, Options or Advanced (just not sure of the syntax), that will get you a dialog screen, allowing one to change the attributes. The name "Desktop" is not highly intuitive, but has been around a long time. In real-world terms, Desktop = Custom.

No other Preset will allow you to make attribute changes, so you will need Desktop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: unable to make selections Premiere CS4
                    drfun_59 Level 1

Thanks for the good wishes....apparently, I'll be needing them!

My problems begin before I ever get to the general tab where I can select 'desktop'.....though I did find a way to get there and select that, but no change....

When I boot Premiere, I get the first screen....select new project....the next screen....unless I change the name given when it comes up as selected, I cannot get back there.  I'm pretty much allowed 1 working mouse click then I'm left with accepting presets and having to select those with the enter key.  The only thing the mouse can select is the close window red x!  I've even gone so far as abandoning the wireless mouse and using a corded mouse in case it was a driver issue with Premiere.

Obviously, something is configured in way someplace that is not to Premiere Pros liking! 

thanks for the quick additional suggestion!

• 7. Re: unable to make selections Premiere CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

By chance, do you have Window Blinds installed? Earlier version of that caused some very odd button behavior and the loss of most buttons on dialog screens.

Otherwise, I am not sure what is going on with your installation, but I would do a Repair Install, were I experiencing similar, as something seems to be "smurfed."

Good luck,

Hunt