6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 8:20 AM by John T Smith

spec upgrade to handle HD in Premiere CS4

kcseb

Hi guys

I'm finding that my current system struggles with HD projects...I use a lot of footage shot with DSLRs, e.g. 5D Mark II.

The PC is a Dell running Premiere CS4, specs are:

Intel Core2 Quad 2.33GHz (Q8200)
      Dell 0M017G motherboard
      3GB memory (DDR2, PC2-6400)
      Vista Home Premium 32-bit
      ATI Radeon HD 3650 256MB graphics card
      1x WD Caviar 500 GB hard drive (SATA, 16MB Cache, 7200 RPM - Model: WD5000AAKS)

Can anyone recommend some targeted upgrades that'll improve performance? I'm thinking 2 or 3 things that'll make a big difference with stuttery playback and general sluggishness, but cost under $700

Many Thanks

K

• 1. Re: spec upgrade to handle HD in Premiere CS4
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The biggest thing you could do is get more disk drives.  I would suggest you get a VelociRaptor and load it with Win 7 64.  Add some more memory.  Use your 500 GB drive and one or two other new ones for your projects. Then get yourself a faster CPU like the Q9650.  (If Dell's BIOS will allow you to upgrade to that processor.)

Run my Premiere Pro Benchmark PPBM4 and see how your current configuration ranks with your peers and see how far you could raise it's score from looking at my collection of benchmarks from other users.

• 2. Re: spec upgrade to handle HD in Premiere CS4
            kcseb Level 1

Hi Bill

Thanks for that. I'm planning a dual boot with Windows 7 64-bit plus more RAM...and an additional hard disk as mentioned. A couple of things if I might...

- is it more important to have a high performance OS/apps drive, or a high performance projects drive?

- is RAID not worth it given my budget? Sounds pretty complicated and pricey, would rather not...but I'm concerned of tackling another HD project with something underpowered!

Best

Kevin

• 3. Re: spec upgrade to handle HD in Premiere CS4
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kcseb wrote:

- is it more important to have a high performance OS/apps drive, or a high performance projects drive?

My preference for the simplest fast system is a fast single hard drive for the OS and applications and a small RAID 0 (buy one more matching 500 GB drivre) and then one more large drive for archiving.  That is my personal preference and it is slightly risky but as long as you do a good job of archiving it is a great performer. For performace and easy management, I prefer all my project files on the RAID 0 rather than spreading them out on multiple disks.

EDIT:

I just found that (apparently) this case only has room for one more disk drive.  Maybe you should start thinking of a new system.

• 4. Re: spec upgrade to handle HD in Premiere CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                I'm planning a dual boot with Windows 7 64-bit plus more RAM.

Why a dual boot system?

• 5. Re: spec upgrade to handle HD in Premiere CS4
                  kcseb Level 1

Thanks for that...is using a single fast SATA drive not going to cut it then? I'm thinking I'll have to leave the RAID unless you think it's essential for HD editing...

@ Harm: should have been clearer...the dual boot is so that I can go on using Vista for other apps, am not confident of switching everything to Windows 7 in one go. Once I know Windows 7 is a safe bet I can maybe migrate everything over to it and ditch Vista.

• 6. Re: spec upgrade to handle HD in Premiere CS4
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only one hard drive will NOT work for video editing... you need AT LEAST two separate, physical drives... NOT partitions on one drive!!!

One drive has one set of read/write heads... so when the OS is reading parts of itself, or parts of the program you are using, it is physically impossible to also read data

For SD video I am able to use 2 drives with success... boot drive with all software and a separate data drive... read my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Having a 3rd drive for temporary "scratch" files is even better

The data transfer requirements for HD are higher than for SD... so working without RAID is liable to cause data throughput problems