13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 1:24 PM by DC B. 09

How do i create this kind of effect

shaunos83

Hi i was just wondering if anyone knows of any tutorials or anything on creating this kind of effect. Do you think it was done in after effects?

Its the 3d camera pan at around the 2:40 mark of the video.

http://www.coreonlinemagazine.com/index.php/aaron-hadlows-new-movie-calibrate/336

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Do some research on the Matrix bullet time effect. The principles are the same - multiple clips/ photos stitched together, complemented by smoe morphing trickery. The magic is all in planning and shooting it properly.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
            shaunos83 Level 1

thanks i'll look into that

• 3. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

The better sample is at about 0410.

We've been dissecting this guy's work for FlexiFoil for about two years. if you come up with new information, please post it for all of us to read.

bogiesan

• 4. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Effects like this require multiple layers, multiple camera angles, and some rotoscoping work to separate the foreground and background elements.

If you want to do this you will need to plan your shots, then you need to do some painstaking roto to separate foreground and background elements from all angles. The next thing you need to do is to plan and perfect some morphing between each of the camera angles.

The multiple image or mirrored image effects can be accomplished by using the echo effect on a layer that's been separated from background. In other words you have to cut out the kite surfer then apply time effects to the layers.   It looks like this could easily be several days work just for a single effect.

• 5. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
                  Fighting Sticks Level 2

Shaunos83,

Andrew Cramer's website - www.videocopilot.com  , has a great tutorial - 'The Bullet' which guides you step by step through panning the 3D camera around a bullet as it fires.  You could definitely translate his tutorial there to achieve the effect @ 2:40.  Good editing!

Fighting Sticks.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
                    DC B. 09 Level 1

That is actually www.videocopilot.net

The beauty of the posted video is that it looks smooth and effortless (which I'm sure it wasn't on a timeline). And, yes, I do take my hat off for the folks that did all the roto and matching of the video and still shots to make those effects so smooth. I wish they gave more credit to the people who did the compositing and not to that surfer dude....

• 7. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
                      shaunos83 Level 1

Thanks everyone, the video is by andy gordon and i'm pretty sure he only  uses 2 cameras. Setting up multiple cameras for this effect would probably be the easiest way, but quite impractical for filming a sport like kiteboarding( especially when the camera pans from the helicopter down to the beach), and yeah i've heard that he spends a bit of time in the editing suite to get these effects.

At the 4:30 mark you can see the second camera man in frame before the view pans from camera 1 to camera 2.

Looks like i have a bit to learn before getting this effect

• 8. Re: How do i create this kind of effect

I'd start simple, with at least 3 angles between the shots. Try working out the morphing with stills. I've done this kind of thing twice and both times all of the pre-vis was done with a point and shoot camera in 3 to 5 locations. Once we worked out the transitions (morphs) we positioned video cameras in the appropriate locations and shot away.

• 9. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
                          DC B. 09 Level 1

One more thing, guys. I looked through most of the effects he used and I can explain how did it, except how on earth did he pull this off?

Take a look, I isolated them (hope these links work):

http://www.mediafire.com/?2mgyymnbb2m

http://www.mediafire.com/?z1mnyanwgmn

• 10. Re: How do i create this kind of effect

These were pulled off by taking at least 2 and probably 3 or more angles, cutting up the footage into multiple layers, then morphing between frames. It's classic bullet time fx that have been referred to before on this thread.

The other camera positions that would have been visible in the shots are simply cloned out. With angle changes as drastic as these there may have also been some 3D modeling and camera projections (google 2.5D fx) to help with the transitions. It all comes down to separating elements, the guy, his kite, the foreground, the background, and morphing between images. Not difficult, just time consuming.

• 12. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
                              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I've downloaded the film and watched the effects sequences carefully, stepping through them one frame at a time.

I'm going to disagree with all of the Bullet Time references that have been suggested so far in this thread. These multi-image effects are cool and they're elegant but they're not that complicated.

The video in the effects shots all comes from a single camera; the frames are merely repeated and stacked. There is a ton of careful rotoscoping that can almost be seen if you view the pixels. The composites are stacked up on the main plate that has been scaled to allow for simulated pans and zooms.

bogiesan

• 13. Re: How do i create this kind of effect
                                DC B. 09 Level 1

bogiesan, I'm not sure if you're referring to the two effects that I isolated and posted above, or to the "echoing" effect present throughout the movie? (Speaking of which, I think they went way too far with that "echo" and at times it doesn't even look cool. But it may be my opinion only.) So going back to the Bullet reference, I agree and there's not much to it (since the Bullet tutorial is basically a 3D object, i.e. bullet, flying in space relative to the camera, coupled with the 2.5D Effect, or when a 2D shot is placed on a plane in a 3D world to create an illusion of depth) so, yeah, the only part from the Kramer's Bullet that applies here is the 2.5D compositing. What baffles me though, that is by the way not explained in the Bullet tutorial, is how on earth did they make a windsurfer look 3D in those camera sweeps? It wouldn't look that cool in 2.5 D composite (and yes, I looked through it frame-by-frame as well.)