6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 7:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Upgrade to Windows 7

coledrums

I am planning to upgrade my current Vista 32 bit system to Win 7 64 bit. I cannot find any explicit info on whether PE version 4 will work on Win 7 64 bit. Two questions:

1. Will PE 4 work after the upgrade?

2. If not, and I need to upgrade to PE 8, will PE 8 be able to open my PE 4 project files?

On the latter, I was amazed to find that when I upgraded from PE 2 to PE 4 the answer was no!

Nick.

• 1. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Some people have had some problems using versions 7 and 8 with Windows 7 64-bit. This appears to be related to its 64-bit drivers not yet being fully compatible. Although this seems to be less of an issue now that Adobe has released a patch for version 8.

So, although versions 4, 7 and 8 will work on Windows 7, I'd recommend you try-before-you-buy  if you're going with the 64-bit version oof the operating system.

I also dont' recommned opening older version projects with newer versions of the program. The program continues to go through such radical re-programming every version that it often doesn't work without problems.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7
            coledrums Level 1

Thanks very much Steve. Actually, I have a Win 7 64 bit laptop, so I'm going to try installing PE 4 on there and see whether or not it works.

I will report back ...

Nick.

• 3. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nick,

Please do report how your test goes, as this is a fairly common question, and I do not recall anyone dropping back by to confirm that PrE 4 will function fully with Win7.

Often, one can get earlier Projects to open in later versions, but there is the potential for several things getting in the way. As Steve says, it's often either not possible, or not a good idea. Things like Instant Movie and Themes change from version to version. If one has used these, success is unlikely. Third party Transitions, etc., do change, version to version, so there could be issues there too. PrE, as you found with earlier versions, does not do that good a job at such. PrPro is pretty good at allowing older Projects to open in newer versions (no Instant Movies, etc.), but there are many times, where it will not work. The current CS4 seems particularly finicky on this, so the general feeling there is to finish in the version that the Project was started in. PrPro also offers a second way to get older Projects into newer versions, Import Project, but that sometimes does not work well, if at all.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7
                coledrums Level 1

Well, I have installed PE 4 on my laptop running 64 bit Win 7, and it certainly seems to work OK. I haven't given it a full test run, but I can certainly create a project, add some video, insert that to the timeline and edit it, cut it etc. I can also open a complex project from my Vista machine OK, although it started complaining about not being able to find the media elements as I was accessing it via my network, but that's understandable.

Obviously that means that the inter-version question goes away, for me at least!

Nick.

• 5. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad to hear things are working for you, Nick!

• 6. Re: Upgrade to Windows 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Nick,

I am glad to hear that PrE 4 is working on your Win7 machine.

As for the Assets, that is to be expected, as the Project file (PREL) is only an XML database containing links to the media and instruction sets on what to do with it. It contains no media files itself. When one has created those links, by either Capturing, or Importing Assets, the refer to an absolute Path. If that changes, the program cannot follow that Path to gather the necessary info about the files. Working over a network is first very slow, and is also likely to cause issues. All Adobe NLE's want the files to be local, either on an internal HDD, or an external, connected to that computer. Whether they are on a network drive, a mapped network drive or on an NAS, there are often problems.

When using an external HDD, one will want to set that drive's letter to be the same in the OS of each computer. Otherwise, PrE will have to ask, "Where is file ______?"

Good luck,

Hunt