5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 11:25 AM by Chuck- AllieCat Video

Error message on On Location files

jdmack01 Level 1

I use Adobe On Location on a laptop for recording video quite a bit.  I then copy the folder with the On Location files to my main computer for editing.  When I import an .avi file created in On Location into Premiere CS4, I see a yellow exclamation symbol in lower right hand corner.  Clicking on this symbol brings up the message "File importer detected an inconsistancy in the structure of xxxx.avi.  Reading and writing this file's metadata (XMP) has been disabled."  However, I have no problems editing the files, so I haven't worried about it.  But I am curious to know why this happens on every .avi file created in On Location, and if I should be worried about it.

J. D.

• 1. Re: Error message on On Location files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The yellow normally means that your source footage does not match your Sequence Preset 100%.

Looking at that On-Location footage vs your Sequence Preset, do they match 100%?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Error message on On Location files
            Chuck- AllieCat Video

I am having the same issue when importing clips from OnLocation.  I am beginning a huge production and I am concerned this issue might cause issues down the road with editing, encoding, mastering.

I have checked the files and sequence and they are the same.

I have seen others have this issue, but there does not seem to be anyone that knows exactly why it's happening and how to correct it.  Including Adobe,  I weent round & round with Adobe support in India and finally gave up.

Error message in Event Panel:  File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of filename.avi.  Reading and writing this file's metadate (XMP) has been disabled.

Adobe Production Premium CS4

Premier Pro CS4 v.4.2.1 

OnLocation CS4

Windows 7, Ultimate 64bit

12GB Memory

1TB System HDD

2TB - RAID 0 Video Processing HDDs

2TB Video Storage HDD

nVida Quadro 1800 1GB Video

1934 FW Capture

• 3. Re: Error message on On Location files
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The error should not affect editing at all.  You're safe to proceed.

• 4. Re: Error message on On Location files
                Chuck- AllieCat Video Level 1

Jim,  Thanks for the info.  Do you have an idea what is causing it?

Thanks,

Chuck

crmajor@comcast.net

• 5. Re: Error message on On Location files
                  Chuck- AllieCat Video Level 1

Update:

Imported mote On:ocation Video Clips last night.  The XMP Disables warning appears on some but not all of the clips imported.  All the properties are the same.  The only difference appears to be size.  Seems that the larger the clip (greater than 2GB) the more likely the (File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of filename.avi.  Reading and writing this file's metadate (XMP) has been disabled) warning will occure?

Is there a file size limitation associated with Adobe inserting XMP data into avi files?

Thanks

Chuck