16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 7:05 AM by Yammer
      • 1. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
        Level 4

Thank you, Mr. Hogarty —and thank you, Adobe Camera Raw Team!

• 2. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
          KayHangman

Indeed, thanks for that. It's timely.

Early usage with Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) looks good.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
            dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

It uses the new (and only the new) demosaicing, introduced in Lightroom 3 and can interpret, but not edit, PV 2010 adjustments, just like ACR 4.5/4.6 did when Lightroom 2 was released.

Why no word on this in the announcement blog post or in the Labs?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
              Laura Kavalier

Downloaded and installed camera RAw 5.7 on my Mac.  At the end of the installation I received a double message:  sucessfully installed and also failed to install.  Now when I try to open PS CS4 extended it just hangs and I have to force quit to get out of the hanging program.  How do I uninstall and go back to Camera Raw 5.6?

Help!!

• 5. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                Laura Kavalier Level 1

Managed to get things working again by running the update program.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Dorin,

You are right ... we’re not emphasizing it at the moment because the primary purpose of putting the RC out now is to get feedback on the new camera support.

Cheers,

Eric

• 7. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                    Level 4

MadManChan2000 wrote:

Hi Dorin,

You are right ... we’re not emphasizing it at the moment because the primary purpose of putting the RC out now is to get feedback on the new camera support.

That's perfectly understandable, Mr. Chan.

However, could you kindly elaborate on the following a bit?

dorin_nicolaescu wrote:

It uses the new (and only the new) demosaicing, introduced in Lightroom 3 and can interpret, but not edit, PV 2010 adjustments…

Does that mean that the new, impressive Noise Reduction available in LR beta 3 cannot be invoked from ACR 5.7 unless the file has gone through LR 3 first?  In other words, are there two separate and discrete noise reduction engines in ACR 5.7 but one of them is only available to files adjusted first in LR 3?

I've done only limited testing at this point, but I think I see a noticeable improvement in the effectiveness of noise reduction in ACR 5.7 RC compared to ACR 5.6.  Unfortunately, I cannot compare it with LR beta 3 because the latter will not run on my non-Intel system.

Somewhat related to the above, will raw files adjusted in ACR 5.6 and earlier render differently when opened through ACR 5.7 compared to ACR 5.6?

Thanks. 

Wo Tai Lao Le
                    我太老了
                    • 8. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                      Tom Hogarty Adobe Employee

Here is a draft of my final release notes for working with Lightroom 3 and Camera Raw 5.7:

Viewing Lightroom 3 settings in Camera Raw 5.7

Before working in conjunction with Lightroom 3 and Camera Raw please set the Camera Raw preference to: Save image settings in: Sidecar ".xmp" files.  By default Camera Raw will display the image adjustments exactly as performed in Lightroom’s develop module.  However, at this time Camera Raw 5.7 is unable to support further adjustments to the following settings or tools:

• Highlight      Priority and Color Priority post-crop vignette
                      • Enhanced      Luminance and Color Noise Reduction
                      • Grain effects
                      • Process Version
                      Lightroom is also dependent on a compatible version of the Camera Raw plug-in for the "Edit in Photoshop" functionality to work properly.  Camera Raw 5.7 will ensure that Lightroom 3 beta 2 will maintain that compatible functionality with Photoshop CS4.
                      Regards,
                      Tom Hogarty
                      Adobe Systems
                      • 9. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                        Level 4

Tom Hogarty wrote:

Here is a draft of my final release notes for working with Lightroom 3 and Camera Raw 5.7:

Viewing Lightroom 3 settings in Camera Raw 5.7

Before working in conjunction with Lightroom 3 and Camera Raw please set the Camera Raw preference to: Save image settings in: Sidecar ".xmp" files.  By default Camera Raw will display the image adjustments exactly as performed in Lightroom’s develop module.  However, at this time Camera Raw 5.7 is unable to support further adjustments to the following settings or tools:

• Highlight      Priority and Color Priority post-crop vignette
                        • Enhanced      Luminance and Color Noise Reduction
                        • Grain effects
                        • Process Version
                        Lightroom is also dependent on a compatible version of the Camera Raw plug-in for the "Edit in Photoshop" functionality to work properly.  Camera Raw 5.7 will ensure that Lightroom 3 beta 2 will maintain that compatible functionality with Photoshop CS4.
                        Regards,
                        Tom Hogarty
                        Adobe Systems

That seems to clarify the interoperability of ACR 5.7 and LR 3.  Thank you for that, Mr. Hogarty.

Now, for the benefit of those of use who are not and/or will not be using Lightroom 3 for whatever reason, perhaps Mr. Chan or you can address the question of whether ACR 5.7 RC has a different or improved Noise Reduction functionality over that of ACR 5.6, and/or whether this will be the case for the final, GM release of ACR 5.7.  Let's leave any and all versions of LR out of the equation for a second, please.

I think I see improved Noise Reduction in ACR 5.7 RC, but I wonder if this is real or whether I've just improved my skills in handling the noise reduction sliders since earlier versions. 

Thanks.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 10. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                          Tom Hogarty Adobe Employee

Wo Tai Lao Le,

"the question of whether ACR 5.7 RC has a different or improved Noise Reduction functionalityover that of ACR 5.6, and/or whether this will be the case for the final, GM release of ACR 5.7. "

No, Camera Raw 5.7 does not offer different or improved noise reduction functionality over that of Camera Raw 5.6 and that will also be the case for the final release.  Camera Raw 5.7 does utilize a new demosaic algorithm that has the potential to subtly alter the default rendering of noise characteristics but as I mentioned earlier, that algorithm has been changed to allow compatibility, not to provide additional noise reduction functionality. 

I didn't answer your other question:

"...will raw files adjusted in ACR 5.6 and earlier render differently when opened through ACR 5.7 compared to ACR 5.6?"

Yes, you will see a very subtle difference when zoomed in at 100% due to the new demosaic algorithm.

Regards,
                          Tom Hogarty

Adobe Systems

• 11. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                            Level 4

Thank you, Mr. Hogarty.  That settles all the questions I had. 

• 12. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                              Stu Allen Level 1

Well I tend to see any subtle changes to anything as quite large. Finding it really interesting to select old RAW files on 1:1 view where the old preview comes up and then Lightroom starts to build a new preview. Once complete I am seeing a noticeable improvement to sharpness and the changes to noise.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                                Level 4

Stu Allen wrote:

Well I tend to see any subtle changes to anything as quite large. Finding it really interesting to select old RAW files on 1:1 view where the old preview comes up and then Lightroom starts to build a new preview. Once complete I am seeing a noticeable improvement to sharpness and the changes to noise.

Ditto.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 14. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                                  Level 4

After exhaustive testing since ACR 5.7RC was posted, I must say that the impact of the new rendering on the noise reduction characteristics is somewhat greater than just subtle.

All one has to do—as Stu Allen says above—is open a raw file previously adjusted in ACR 5.6 or earlier at 1:1 (100%) view and see the improvement as the new ACR 5.7 replaces the previously saved preview by building its own. It happens right there, in front of one's eyes.

What is a subtle change to the corporate staff who have an understandable interest in motivating me to spend my money on the soon-to-be released Photoshop 12 and ACR 6 turns out to be a most welcome, significant improvement. Running an additional plug-in of your choice—whether Noiseware Pro or Noise Ninja or other favored software—generates cleaner images than anything others have been able to produce with the same test images through Lightroom 3 beta 2.

Images from both my Pentax K20D and my *istD are now quite usable at the highest possible ISO settings (ISO 6400).

Summarizing, (just to clarify):

In my opinion:

•   ACR 6 and Lightroom 3 will generate even cleaner images than ACR 5.7 or the yet to be released final version of Lightroom 2.
                                  •   Images rendered by ACR 5.7 and then run through the noise-reduction utility of your choice will result in the cleanest images produced by any of the above workflows.
                                  •   Running the noise-reduction utility of your choice on images already cleaned by ACR 6 or Lightroom 3 will most likely be overkill.

This is a relief for those non-Intel Mac users like me who cannot upgrade to either Photoshop 12 ("CS5") or Lightroom 3.

(In my case I'd have to spend several thousand US dollars on a new Mac and find room for it in an already overcrowded digital darkroom, as I would absolutely need to keep my current machine.  Virtually unthinkable and unmanageable.)

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 15. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                                    Yammer Level 4

I've just installed CR 5.7RC. I was very excited to hear about this release since seeing the first Lightroom 3 beta. The V2 process is a significant improvement in my opinion.

Firstly, the setup didn't work for me, it thew up an exception 0xC0000005 in Windows XP 32 bit, I couldn't get the MSI to run either. So, after a quick search, I found that I could install manually by renaming one of the asset files and installing the DNG Converter RC instead.

The first thing I noticed is that my thumbnails were automatically regenerated whenever I browsed a new folder. This made it impossible to do an A/B comparison (like you can with Lightroom), so I'm afraid I can't give any useful feedback on the demosaicing changes, unless someone can suggest a trick. I can't say I noticed an obvious improvement — I think I can see a "subtle" difference, but I'm not sure how "psychological" that is!

I'm still waiting patiently for the auto-chromatic-aberration-correction setting

• 16. Re: Lightroom 2.7 and Camera Raw 5.7 Release Candidates now Available
                                      Yammer Level 4

A week-and-a-half later, I can safely say that CR feels better than the previous version. I've noticed that detail is often better defined - in fact I've been occasionally startled by  how sharp some of my photos appear zoomed-in, and I don't think I've  suddenly learnt how to focus better.

Like I said before, I can't make any A/B comparisons, I just feel that I've gradually noticed the subtle but significant improvement over the last few days.