Thank you for your response. Before you answered, I did this:
- File | Project Settings
- Advanced button
- LNG File tab
- Made no changes, just clicked OK.
The !language!.fpj file appeared in my File Status tab, and it wasn't there before. (I could find no mention of an LNG file anywhere in my project files.) This did not fix the problem with the template content being inserted above the topic text, but it did make the WH_LNG_FtsMaxResult error go away.
I think these were two different problems, because I ended up trying the two solutions in the first solution you listed, to no avail. Copying the LNG file did nothing and changing the language for the project settings did nothing. I'm still having a problem with the template content being inserted. I looked in your website and could find no mention of either the error or the problem. I was unable to load your twitter page for which you sent links.
Again, I think these were two separate problems. The WH_LNG problem seems fixed now, but the template is still being inserted above my topic text.
Any other ideas?
Have you tried, creating a new template and applying that to your topics. We had similar problems with a RHX5 template that was upgraded to a RH8 master page. It had a table in the footer ith images in cells which proved to be the problem. This may not be the case for you but recreating may unclog the problem. Worth a try.
Colum and Peter, thank you both for your responses.
Colum, I believe you are correct about templates with tables. We have one of our three templates that contains a table. I'm not sure why all of the templates were affected and not just that one; maybe the presence of a table in one befuddled it for all.
At any rate, for posterity here in case anyone else encounters this: This entire master page thing is new to me, but it seems that, in RH 8, template content should be contained in a "body placeholder." Our problem was that RH 8 didn't put put the content into a body placeholder during the conversion. As a result, the template content did not appear in new topics, and in existing topics, it was inserted above the topic content when you previewed or generated help. (According to RH's help system, this is working as designed, although I find it clumsy and confusing.)
To fix this problem, I went into each template and inserted a body placeholder (in a new paragraph, right-click and select Insert Placeholder | Body), and then copied and pasted all of my template content inside the placeholder box.
All seems to be working correctly now. Many thanks again!
Hey Lisa, Thanks for taking the time to document your fix. I couldn't figure out why the boillerplate text from my master pages was appearing on every page in the generated help. Your instructions worked like a charm, fixed the problem in no time! (Interestingly, this only occurred on one of my imported projects, even though they were derived from the same RH7 help system. Go figure...)
You're welcome! I'm very happy it worked out for you and that you found my instructions helpful.
I was getting the same error and following the steps in this post got rid of the error. Strange to me, but easy. Glad I found this posting.