4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 12:42 PM by Jim_Babbage

Best Practice for Many Complex Elements In One PNG File

noxbane

I use Fireworks all the time, but I'm still embarrasingly ignorant on how to do some things property.

For instance, when I do mockups of a new customers homepage, there may be many small or medium sized complex objects on the page.  By "objects" I mean like lots of modules advertising their different services, and each module has its own graphics, text, backgrounds, etc all with lots of different effects applied.

Should all of these things reside in one large png file, or does Fireworks offer some way for me to create some of these as separate png files and just drop an "instance" of them into the main file?  I read something about adding files to the Common Library, but I will only need these files for one single customer so that may be overkill.

Or do I even need to worry about separating them at all and should just continue having everything for a single customer in one big single png file?

Please let me know if my question is not clear.

• 1. Re: Best Practice for Many Complex Elements In One PNG File
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

If you're using them often - even in a single design, you can create symbols of a group of selected objects. That way you can easily drag and drop them onto newly created pages.

You might also want to read up on the Master page and about Sharing layers to pages.

Jim Babbage

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best Practice for Many Complex Elements In One PNG File
            noxbane Level 1

In reading a bit further, it looks like a good option for me might be to just select everything that makes up a specific module and just "group" it. That way I can move it around and turn it off and on easier.

So I'm thinking that unless theres something Im going to reusing more than once in a document (which in this case I'm not) then its fine to have everything all in one png?  And the only time I use the Common/Document Library is when i'm reusing things?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what all my options are in Fireworks, as so far my experience is limited to just dragging around rectangles and shapes and stuff on one single canvas to create website mockups.

• 3. Re: Best Practice for Many Complex Elements In One PNG File
              noxbane Level 1

Thanks Jim. You posted your response as I was typing my 2nd response, so I had not read yours yet.   Thanks for your suggestions, I will read up on exactly that.   As a newbie, its difficult not only not knowing where to start to learn to do something specific, but I also have the issue of not knowing what things are called (or what phrases to search for on the forums/google) which makes it difficult to research.

• 4. Re: Best Practice for Many Complex Elements In One PNG File
                Jim_Babbage Level 4

Grouping will also work if you don't plan on reusing the image.

Jim Babbage

1 person found this helpful