5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 11:11 AM by the_wine_snob

How to Equalize volume between parts of audio tracks

Tom Berquist Level 1

Dear Experts:

Using PRE 7 I have created a video using different recording devices (camera, lavalier, direct into computer) and since I have defective hearing I have a hard time making the different sections of the audio track at the same audio output level when I make/play the dvd it goes up and down in a very disturbing way to most viewers.

The yellow rubber band method is not very accurate and even tho I try to make all the same level, since some of them were recorded "louder" than ot\hers originally the db settings dont help. When I try the audio mixer approach same problem.

Is there anyway to highlight all the parts of the total audio track and make them all the same level?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tom

• 1. Re: How to Equalize volume between parts of audio tracks
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, sort of.

First, as I say in my books, you should leave your Audio Mixer open as you work. Even those with excellent hearing should do this since it doesn't matter what you hear -- it's what levels are being recorded that matter. With your Audio Mixer open, you can watch your audio levels and ensure they're peaking at about or slightly over zero.

You can automatically raise or lower the volume for a segment by right-clicking on it, selecting Audio Gain and clicking the Normalize button. But this tool bases its results on the loudest sound in that clip. So, if you've got something loud and something quiet in the same clip, both sounds will be raised or lowered equally. It won't make the quieter one louder to match the louder.

That you have to do on your own, using audio keyframing on that little yellow "rubber band" running through the audio tracks (again, as described in my books). But, using the Audio Mixer as your guide, you should be able to give your video a nice, even sound level.

• 2. Re: How to Equalize volume between parts of audio tracks
            Tom Berquist Level 1

Steve: As always, thanks. Wish I could take the time and had the funds to

get your books etc. but when I do these life reviews for hospice patients

everything moves very fast on a trial and error basis to get something done

before....

As to specifics, can you tell me how to make an even adjustment across the

segment and to actually and accurately set it to match the volume of the

adjoining segment?? When I have the audio mixer window up I can see how the

too loud segment volume goes up and down unevenly and is much louder than

the previous, but whenever I use the yellow band it goes all over the place

lifting one end or the other rather than straight across. i.e. the yellow

line isnt straight across? Isnt there a more precise digital way of setting

the volume number and checking DONE across the segment instead of trying to

move the band with much difficulty? When I try to plug in a number on the

mixer it doesnt stay.

Sorry for my lack of understanding here but appreciate any hints as I seem

to be missing something here.

Tom

• 3. Re: How to Equalize volume between parts of audio tracks
              Tom Berquist Level 1

Steve: I forgot to mention. When I do go to clip sement  properties

highlighted for audio control and select the same db level as the previous

clip to "match " and check DONE it does not change. Like it should. What on

earth am I not doing right?

Tom

• 4. Re: How to Equalize volume between parts of audio tracks
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it's a bit hard to show you without illustrations (which is why books are so great).

But, basically, you select each audio clip and then click on the Add Keyframe button on that audio tracks track header (to the left of the timeline). This creates a keyframe (a little diamond). Create as many of these diamonds as you need and set them higher and lower to raise and lower the volume as needed along the entire clip.

• 5. Re: How to Equalize volume between parts of audio tracks
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

The Audio Mixer can be used in several ways.

1.) it can be used to monitor the Levels, just like with the Audio Meters

2.) it can be used to adjust an Audio Track statically and for the entire Audio Track (more on this later)

3.) it can be used to apply Track Keyframes, when the Slider is adjusted during playback. This creates a lot of Track Keyframes, and I have changed the default timing of those Keyframes, as the default seems too frequent for my needs.

Now, one workflow would be to place your loud Clips onto one Audio Track, and the ones with the proper Levels on another. Then, in Audio Mixer, adjust the Track w/ the too loud Clips, down a bit. Playback to test and adjust (not while in playback) to suit.

I use #2 and #3 most often.

As Steve points out, the Clips can have their Volume changed, with the fixed Effect>Volume. This can also be done several ways. One of the first things that I would do is zoom in on the Timeline horizontally, until just my Clip was occupying most of the visible area. Next, you can click-drag on the Audio Track's Header junction, to expand that vertically. This can be a bit tricky, as finding the right point to click-drag is like searching for pixels. Between the Audio Tracks and in the Header area, slowly move the Cursor, until it turns into parallel lines with arrows, click and drag to expand that Track vertically. This will show the yellow "rubberband" more clearly. Now, if your change is to be static, only affecting that Clip and all of that Clip equally, just click on the rubberband and slowly drag it up, or down. If you wish to do this Volume change dynamically, then you will want to add Keyframes. I find this much more easily done in the Effects Control Panel (with Clip Selected, Edit Effects), and use the little Timeline in it. With the fixed Effect>Volume, you would toggle the "stopwatch" so that Keyframes are active, and add those to adjust/modulate your Volume. Here is a look at the Effects Control Panel from PrPro 2.0, which is closer to the one in PrE 8:

Audio_Keyrames_01.jpg

Hope that this helps.

Also, there are several articles on Keyframing basics by Steve, on the Muvipix site.

Good luck,

Hunt