9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 4:39 PM by lofiana

Converting from PC to Mac

lofiana

I currently have Dreamweaver MX and want to purchase the new Macintosh computer with Snow Leopard operating system.

In talking with Adobe tech Support, I was told (after much confusion) that the Dreamweaver file format on the PC is may not compatible with the file format on the Mac.  Meaning...I cannot work on any of my hundreds of current web pages if I switch to Mac.

I was also told that even if I had the most current version of Dreamweaver (CS4?) for the PC, the PC files still would not be compatible with the Mac format requirements.  Apparently it doesn't make a difference in the version of PC software you have in determining Mac compatibility.

I would like to know if this is true as they gave me two completely different answers in a few minutes time.  Does anyone have experience with this?  WIll I run into glitches if it is possible to transfer file formats?

How do folks switch operating systems and still use current files?

• 1. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
          370H55V Level 4

Dreamweaver MX was 2003/2004.

Macs were using Motorola PowerPC, (or PPC) processors back then and Intel Macs were still a vision for Apple.

MX for Mac was/is designed for a different processor with a different architecture. It simply won't run on an Intel machine. The DW files are HTML which is still compatible, even if a little outdated.

I have eleven sites I maintain with CS3 and CS4 and I swap files between Mac OS 10.6.3, XP Home, XP Pro, Vista and Windows 7 with no compatibility issues at all.

If you make the switch to Mac, you'll want to run CS4 or CS3 at the least.

Good thing about the Intel Macs is that you can run Windows on them and still use DW if you have it for Windows.

I have VMWare Fusion and I run seven Windows virtual machines (98, ME, 2000, XP, VIsta [32 and 64 bit], and Windows 7) on my MacBook.

I have Adobe products going back to 2000 installed throughout the range of VMs. HTML files are comaptible in all of them.

• 2. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you mean can you use the PC version of DW on a Mac then, no, you cannot. You must purchase the Mac version of DW.

In terms of the files produced for a website (.htm, .php etc) those files work on any browser on any computer on any OS: Windows, OSX, Linux or whatever.

• 3. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
              lofiana Level 1

One way or another I will obtain a Mac CS4 version Dreamweaver program.

I want to make sure before I spend several thousand dollars on a Mac system that my most important files will crossover safely.  This means my Dreamweaver MX and Quickbook files.

So are you saying that I have no worries about file transfer protocals?

• 4. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                lofiana Level 1

I have Dreamweaver MX version 6.0 on my PC.

I do not want to run a PC program on my Mac.

I would like to use a Mac Dreamweaver program.  , but I want to make sure that I can still work (seamlessly) on all my .htm files that I created within Dreamweaver MX.

Is this easliy possible?

Thank you for your input.

• 5. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                  Ben M Adobe Community Professional

I can speak from experience on this.  I switched from PC to Mac a long time ago.  You cannot upgrade from MX to CS4, you will need a new license because MX falls out of the "upgrade every 3 versions" policy that Adobe has.  MX2004 is the last one to upgrade to CS4.  With CS5 announcement right around the corner (1 week away) I would wait to purchase CS4 for the Mac until Adobe announces some sort of incentive (ie: free upgrade CS4->CS5).  I'm not guaranteeing this will happen this time around but it has in the past.

All of your HTML/CSS, PHP/.NET code will be in tact.  There may be some differences.  For instance the rendering engine in CS4(CS5?) is much more refined than it was back in MX.  Because of this some of your pages may have a slightly altered look, but that is because of outdated code which users here can easily help you with.  As far as updating site definitions, you will need to export sites from your Windows version and then reimport them on the Mac.  You will not be able to copy the raw files as David posted awhile back when switching platforms because those files are different which is why the Export/Import function in Dreamweaver exists.  One thing you will definitely have to do is re-define your paths on those sites for the root folders because C: is a Windows term, in the Mac world paths are different.

Also because there have been features changes between the version, an example of this is "Flash text" in Dreamweaver.  That existed in previous versions but it was removed in CS4.  Because of this, features such as that will not be editable.  If the feature just made code, ie: a behavior that might not exist, you will still be able to edit the code a previous version of DW made but you will not have a GUI that may have existed in previous versions.  These last statements are true whether you upgraded Windows->Windows or Windows->Mac because those are version differences unlike the above path differences mentioned above.

• 6. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                    lofiana Level 1

Thank you for your input.  Let's see if I've got this right...

-I will probably have to purchase CS4 or CS5 instead of simply upgrading since MX is so old. 

Question: will CS5 be able to take my MX files?

- I will have minimal problems using the current "PC created" MX files (which have the .htm tag) with a newly purchased Mac CS5 program.

-All the folders on my website (which has literally hundreds of pages as it is my business) are current.  Therefore, I would install CS5 into my new Mac and import the files from my server onto the Mac.  In general, they should work just fine.

I would not import directly from my PC.

Is this all correct?

• 7. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                      lofiana Level 1
                      Thank you for your input.  Let's see if I've got this right...
                      -I will probably have to purchase CS4 or CS5 instead of simply upgrading since MX is so old.
                      Question: will CS5 be able to take my MX files?
                      - I will have minimal problems using the current "PC created" MX files (which have the .htm tag) with a newly purchased Mac CS5 program.
                      -All the folders on my website (which has literally hundreds of pages as it is my business) are current.  Therefore, I would install CS5 into my new Mac and import the files from my server onto the Mac.  In general, they should work just fine.
                      I would not import directly from my PC.
                      Is this all correct?
                      • 8. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                        John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

One way or another I will obtain a Mac CS4 version Dreamweaver program.

Wait a few weeks and get CS5.

I want to make sure before I spend several thousand dollars on a Mac system that my most important files will crossover safely.  This means my Dreamweaver MX and Quickbook files.

If you mean the files you produced on a PC with DW MX, then yes they'll work on Mac.

Quickbooks however does not support Mac.

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Pages/KnowledgeBaseArticle/1010787#one

So are you saying that I have no worries about file transfer protocals?

Not sure what you mean by file transfer protocols.

HTML files work the same on any OS. [EDITED for clarity]: But Quickbooks won't work on Mac since it's a proprietary file format without conversion from PC to Mac.

• 9. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                          370H55V Level 4

Everyone is reading WAAAYYYYYY too much into the original question:

1. Dreamweaver MX (the APPLICATION... not the FILES it produces) absolutely WILL NOT run on a new Mac. No way no how.  It was designed for PPC, not Intel.

2. HTML, JS, CSS, PHP, ASP DOC, XLS, PPT, MP3, JPG, GIF, BMP, PSD, PNG FLA, SWF, PDF, MPEG, WAV, MOV, MP4, WMV... all of these file types are able to open in both Win and Mac formats with the appropriate software. I've done it for years.

3. YES YOU CAN run Windows on a Mac and you MOST CERTAINLY CAN run Dreamweaver (for Windows) on a Mac running Windows. I have no less than five copies of DW (from DW3 to CS4) running on virtual machines in Win 98, 2K, XP, Vista, and 7... ON A MAC.

4. Quickbooks (QBF or Qdata) files will require a conversion to go from Windows to Mac, but my former employer (Intuit) will do it free of charge when you switch to QuickBooks for Mac. At least they did four years ago when I was still working there. And QuickBooks DOES RUN on a Mac

Worst case, you can still run QB in Windows through Boot Camp which will "hard boot" you into Windows (actually running Windows, not an emulation). In order to use BootCamp, you MUST have your own copy of a Windows install CD or DVD that is XP (SP2) or newer though.