8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 6:32 PM by tobybul

How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive

tobybul

Does someone know how to direct acrobat rader 9 toa different drive when installing? It always defaults to drive C. I want it on drive D. Help!

• 1. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
          370H55V Level 4

Unless your registry is installed on D:\ as well, you'd do best not to try it.

In other words, if Windows is installed on C:\ that's where you need to install Reader or you're inviting problems.

If you want a portable PDf reader that will run from another drive check out FoxIt PDF.

• 2. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
            tobybul Level 1

not to argue the point but why can't acrobat be directed to a different directory? My problem is that I am low in space in C: I'd like to get it out of C: and put it in D: where I have tons of space.

I guess I could install windows in D: Thats probably the solution.....

• 3. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
              370H55V Level 4

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of references to registry files in \Windows\System 32 from within Reader. The registry keys likewise point to a program in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader folder.

Unless you are capable and willing to go in and rewrite the code for each and every single reference in every last file of the program so that they reference a registry on a separate drive from the program itself, and vice-versa, you will find that it won't work, and if it does it'll keep crashing, and giving you errors all the time.

There are portable readers which are designed to run without the registry references (like from a Flash drive) but they won't function as well as Reader in every case.

You might want to try running your disk cleanup, defragmenting your C:\ drive, and running a compression to free up file space.

Another thing I like to pass along is a"deep cleaning" Disk Cleanup tool

Disk Cleanup can clear out a lot of old, unused, and junk  files from your hard drive. Things that clutter up the drive, and make  defragmenting take a lot more time than it should. Here's a neat way  to clear up more unused files on your system than Windows™ Disk Cleanup  utility will do on it's own:

c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /dc /sageset: 1
              c:
              cd \
              cd c:\windows\prefetch
              del *.* /q

Copy the code above and paste it into a  document using Notepad or Wordpad (Do not use  Microsoft™ Word™, or Corel™ WordPerfect™). Save the file as "clean.bat"  (minus the quotes of course), a Windows™ batch file. To do this click,  Save As instead of Save, and choose all files from the File Type drop  down menu. Save it to your desktop.

Double click the batch file, and it will open a  configuration tool for your Disk Cleanup utility. You will see a lot  more checkboxes in the list than your regular Disk Cleanup shows. Check EVERYTHING. Don't worry, these are all files your system doesn't use.

Once you have clicked all the checkboxes, click OK and the  window will close. You have now set your Disk Cleanup to thoroughly  clean your Hard Drive.

Now we need to go back to the batch file. Right  click it, and select Edit. It will open in Notepad or Wordpad, depending  on which one you made it in. When it opens, go to the first line, where  it reads "sageset", and change it to "sagerun" (again, minus the  quotes, of course) and save it. You don't need to choose a destination  or file type. Just save it.

Now double click the batch file again, and it will run  the Disk Cleanup with your deep cleaning settings.

Copy the batch file to your documents folder and  any time you need to run it, just double click it. Now here's another  tip that will free up a lot of hard drive space on top of the deep  clean.

Also:

If you open the regular Disk Cleanup (Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Disk Cleanup), when it opens there is a  More Options tab at the top of the window. Click the tab, and at the  bottom you should see a section referring to System Restore and Shadow  Copies (Vista) or System Restore (XP).

Click Clean Up to remove the extra restore points  and Shadow Copies of Windows™ that are stored on your hard drive for  system restoration. Don't worry, this will only remove all but the most  recent restore point.

You should see anywhere from 3.5 to 14 gigs of hard  drive space freed up once you do this.

One last thing:

If you have a C:\ and a D:\ drive, the D:\ drive should ideally be used for file storage.

In other words, all of your pictures, movies, documents, saved e-mails, etc., anything that ISN'T a program... should be on this drive to keep your C:\ drive working better:

All of these files opening and closing on the C:\ drive will lead to fragmentation of your C:\ drive and that will eventually cause the whole system to slow down, and could kill your hard drive.

Additionally, you mention that you are low on space on the C:\ drive. That's another bad thing. I've learned over the years that you should never let a working drive (as in one that is running your operating system or even one that holds files you access daily) get below 25% free space. The caching of files as you work on them gets extremely slow if the drive has to jump back and forth between sides of the actual discs to record changes as you make them. This is much less likely when you have 25% or more of the drive free.

Your documents, pictures, music and movies will open from the D:\ drive where software won't always.  It's easier to move your files to the D:\ drive to make space than to install a second OS and then reinstall all of your software.

• 4. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
                pwillener Level 8

There are ways to install Adobe Reader on a different drive, but it's not really simple.

Search Google or the Adobe site for 'customize Adobe Reader install' or 'Adobe Reader deployment' and you will find ways to do what you need.  I have never done it myself, so I cannot guide you through it.

P.S. an excellent tool to clear up disk space on your main drive is CCleaner; I have used it successfully for many years.

• 5. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
                  prrho

I hope you didn't pay any attention to I_Know_Nothing_at_all's blame-the-victim nonsense.  All too many computer manufacturer's misallocate the hard disk between the C and D drives so that the former has room for little more than the software installed on the machine as sold, not even allowing for expansion of existing programs.  I gather that Adobe used to act responsibly in this matter, providing a Browse screen in the installer that ordinary users could use to select the drive for the Reader to be installed on, but at some point they apparently decided to make that option available only to people with sysop skills; the references that ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ refers to are basically for people installing the Reader on network drives for enterprise use.  And Adobe has compounded the problem by radically increasing the size of the Reader with every new release.

I suggest you minimize your exposure to Adobe by employing Foxit or another alternative like Cool PDF Reader, PDFescape, PDFHammer, Perfect PDF Reader, Sumatra, or PDF-Xchange Viewer until Adobe repudiates its policy of treating anyone who is not a power user like dirt.

• 6. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
                    Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

During the first installation of Adobe Reader you can choose the drive and directory.

• 7. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
                      prrho Level 1

I wouldn't know; I've apparently never done an 'initial installation', and I can't find any indication of how to do one.  Usually Adobe Reader is installed by the computer manufacturer, which means that if a subsequent update exceeds the capacity of your drive, you're out of luck.

• 8. Re: How to Install Acrobet Reader 9 on Different Drive
                        tobybul Level 1

Nope... not true. Adobe defaults to C drive. I've tried uninstalling and

reinstalling several times and could not get a prompt to direct to a different

drive.