33 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 12:22 PM by brian100780

AVI files in Premier Pro

brian100780 Level 1

Is there any way to play a .avi file in premier pro? I am sick n tired of converting the avi > .mp4 or .mov. I would have figured that there is a way.

I am using Windows XP, Premier Pro CS4 or OSX 10.5.8 and Premier Pro CS4

• 1. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
          brian100780 Level 1

I am looking for a free way to do this legally. I teach at a high school so no pirating or spending $$$$

• 2. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
            RDA972 Level 3

avi is just a container. Which codec(s) are you using?

For your information, PPro plays dv avi files just fine.

• 3. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
              shooternz Level 6

You are working on two platforms so you are going to have different requirements for optimised editing in each.

dv avi will play fine in your windows systems and .movs in your MAC system.

What are you teaching?

• 4. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                brian100780 Level 1

I teach a basic video production course. I use the flip cameras 

because they are cheap and give a good result. Mini dv cameras are out 

dated and importing takes too much time. With that being said the 

regular flip cameras record in a avi format and premier doesn't 

recognize the format. I use NTSC dv standard 48. I do have a flip HD 

and that format is mp4 which works very well. Any advice would help a 

lot.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                  brian100780 Level 1

I teach a basic video production course. I use the flip cameras 

because they are cheap and give a good result. Mini dv cameras are out 

dated and importing takes too much time. With that being said the 

regular flip cameras record in a avi format and premier doesn't 

recognize the format. I use NTSC dv standard 48. I do have a flip HD 

and that format is mp4 which works very well. Any advice would help a 

lot.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For a bit more background on the "wrapper," or "container," this ARTICLE will give you some info.

Now, most newer Mac's can handle some AVI's. Which ones, will depend on the available CODEC's for that computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                      shooternz Level 6

Seems like Flip records in an "avi format" that Premiere does not like

As mentioned - avi is a many headed beast and not all are created equal.  (Same as mov)

Bad choice of camera or bad choice of software maybe... but whatever...the combination isnt good as you have discovered.

How do you manage the dual platforms?

• 8. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Mini dv cameras are out dated and importing takes too much time.

For being dead, it is surprising that they are still the basis of most NLE programs.

Per my post above, please tell us about the AVI "wrappers," for the Flip cameras. The great, free utility, G-SPOT, will give you the full specs.

That will give you a direction to head.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a FAQ Entry, from the PrE forum, on Flip cameras and their files. Might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                            brian100780 Level 1

Well I disagree about the mini dv cameras, they are outdated. Apple even removed their 6pin firewire connector because the new trend has improved to recording video in various formats with out tape. The flip cameras are not designed for feature films but they are inexpensive and do a decent job. To improve audio I use soundbooth. I had a problem with the g-spot utility. Something to do with the firewall at school.

I will say that today a student exported a video to a avi and yes that file did play in premier. The codec that flip uses is not compatible with premier. I will work on this situation with my network administrator.

Prisim is great for 30 days. Then the trial expires and you can re-install it again but thats it.

• 11. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                              brian100780 Level 1

Well I ran the gspot utility and it said all codecs were installed. The codec was the XVID. I imported the file into premier and all I got was audio with no video. At the bottom of the output screen there were a few lines of video showing but not enough to see the entire video. HELP!

• 12. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Convert XVid to something editable or use a consumer application like WMM or Magix. Xvid does not work with PR.

• 13. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Xvid, is the open source version of the DivX CODEC. That is a very good, highly-compressed CODEC for streaming AV with small file sizes. It is a delivery-only CODEC, and is not meant to be edited - only streamed.*

Conversion to an editable CODEC is the only way around this, and even then, most of the data has been squeezed and thrown out, so quality will never be good. Still, with conversion, one can edit the material, and that is the goal here, right?

Also, as with most non-tape formats, these are GOP, and directly do not allow for frame-accurate editing, which requires I-frame. That conversion should be to a non-GOP format, like those old, obsolete DV-AVI Type II's, with full I-frames. I would do this outside of the NLE, to remove the overhead from the program. Yes, one could choose to convert to another GOP format, but that would be counter-productive, and introduce another layer of compression.

The choice of conversion program is yours. I use DigitalMedia Converter, but it is shareware, and there are freeware programs available. One that gets good marks is Prism, but there are many more. Remember, none will regain that lost data - it is gone forever. The conversion is just to get you something that will edit.

One other rec. is CyberLink's PowerDirector, which WILL Import DivX (and would assume Xvid, but I do not know with certainty). It will not return the quality, but will natively edit DivX. It lacks many of the features of PrPro, as it is about 1/10th the cost, and I find the interface "clunky," but it does handle DivX, so long as the CODEC is properly installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

* most cameras that use it, are also designed to produce material to be viewed, or uploaded to YouTube, and never meant to be edited.

• 14. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                    brian100780 Level 1

thanks a lot. i used prisim until the trial expired. unfortunately our school does not have money to buy 20 seats of software so i was hoping there is a way around this. best way to convert out of xvid is ??????

i use to use quick time pro on the macs but that is not an option anymore. i am experimenting with any video converter and so far so good. for now on i will buy the flip hd cameras which use mp4 and those work seamlessly. i want to thank you for all of your help.

• 16. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                      brian100780 Level 1

any reason why adobe media encoder will not do this? i do own the cs4 suite

• 17. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

This is just a guess on my part, but as Adobe programs do not support editing Xvid, I would speculate that AME will have the same issues with the Xvid CODEC. I'd definitely test it, as you have AME handy. Please report the outcome.

There is also another converter (did not notice it in John T's comprehensive list) called Super. Seems that it is limited to NTSC, and does not support PAL, but that might not be an issue for you. I have never used it, but many on the PrE forum report great success with it. I think that it is fully freeware.

One other option would be to find the ultimate conversion program, with batch conversion capabilities, and install on your system. When the students "drop off" their files, just load that program up, after class, check the settings, and hit Convert. While you're grading some papers, or just getting a cup of coffee, the program chugs away. Next class, you hand over the converted files. Only drawback that I see is the transport of the files to the students, but maybe a handful of thumbdrives would work there. Just make sure that all students Copy over the converted files to the internal HDD on the computer, as thumbdrives will not really allow one to edit to/from.

Now, if you are on a LAN, you could also just transfer files to the internals for each student - no thumbdrives.

Actually, this method has the potential for an additional lesson - handling and transfer of AV files. This is a lesson that I would work into the syllabus somewhere, as it is such a big part of Video editing.

Just some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          Well I disagree about the mini dv cameras, they are outdated. Apple even removed their 6pin firewire connector because the new trend has improved to recording video in various formats with out tape. The flip cameras are not designed for feature films but they are inexpensive and do a decent job.

Considering that Mini dv is such a simple workflow and your new fangled Flip cameras causes you so much grief ,I cant see how you think it is doing "a decent job" in your circumstances.  

What do you consider out dated ?  Are 35mm motion film cameras out dated also?

Tapelesss workflows are more modern but they certainly can bring a host of issues with them also.

• 19. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                            brian100780 Level 1

I don't have FireWire ports. Importing is not a good use of time with 

kids. If u were a hs teacher you would understand.

Sent from my iPhone

• 20. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

brian100780 wrote:

any reason why adobe media encoder will not do this? i do own the cs4 suite

Try it and let us know.

-Jeff

• 21. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Another possible lesson, when Capturing (obviously, one would need an IEEE-1394 port), is to teach the students to log their shots. I have pads of worksheets, that I fill in, during this time. Those help me greatly, when I go to edit.

I do the same, when I capture from VHS to digital - I use that time to gather info on what the VHS tapes contain, getting ideas on how best to edit.

There can be some great lessons on workflow in cases like this.

Now, I am not trying to tell you how to do your lesson plans, but am just throwing out ideas. Feel free to ignore any/all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                  brian100780 Level 1

It doesn't work tried on pc and mac

Sent from my iPhone

• 23. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                    brian100780 Level 1

No thankyou very much. However you are an adult. Kids need to be 

constantly engaged. If they sit around for a period importing then 

that's a waste of a class.

Kids aren't going to become film makers in 90 days. This course is a 

fun elective ghat provides exposure to the film making process.

Sent from my iPhone

• 24. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, now I am an adult, but we had classes just like that in film school. Of course, that was a focused curriculum, so I will concede your point.

Like I said, just throwing out thoughts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                        brian100780 Level 1

anytime please i am always up to new ideas thanks.

• 26. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro

In Windows, VirtualDub will convert the files to any Video For Windows codec you have installed on your system.  I recommend Lagarith and UT for lossless, and Cedocida for DV.  Google for all.  All are free, safe, and reliable open-source codecs.

I have a tutorial that covers the download and installation of VirtualDub and Lagarith on my web site:

The Essential Open-Source Toolkit

-Jeff

EDIT: It should go without saying that you'll need to install the latest version of the XviD codec on your system in order to decode the AVI files from the Flip camera.

• 27. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                            brian100780 Level 1

i have seen this before. i am trying to bypass students converting files

then importing into premier pro. im guessing that there really is no way to

do this with my cameras and software. as time goes on i will purchase the hd

cameras to alleviate this issue. thank you.

• 28. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro

brian100780 wrote:

im guessing that there really is no way to

do this with my cameras and software

You are correct.  Good luck.

-Jeff

• 29. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                                mikerana Level 1

If you are teaching a basic video editing course - I read a few forums down that you're teaching HS students.  Mini-DV camcorders, per you, may be outdated, but they are the best kind to use when you're teaching the basics of editing.

The amount of time it takes to import, especially to an entry-level student, is irrelevant.  All you're teaching them is how to edit clips; they know that DV is out of date and will eventually learn tapeless formats when they decide to pursue an editing career further.

Premiere's mac port doesn't work with AVI because it's a Microsoft codec (no more than it will work with WMVs).

You're better off to plug the Flip Cam into either iMovie or AP and do a direct import from there.

• 30. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                                  mikerana Level 1

brian100780 wrote:

No thankyou very much. However you are an adult. Kids need to be 

constantly engaged. If they sit around for a period importing then 

that's a waste of a class.

Kids aren't going to become film makers in 90 days. This course is a 

fun elective ghat provides exposure to the film making process.

Sent from my iPhone

You're not supposed to sit around waiting for a movie to import; the importation process is designed for you to either get more source material ready for the editing process, or for you to be able to walk away from it, so that it's not like watching paint dry.  Whenever I import any video (be it DV or tapless), I do it before I go to work, that way it will be finished by the time I return home.

My Intro to Video professor spent a grand total of 10 minutes explaining how to import footage from a DV camera into iMovie and just had us take notes - that's all you'd need to do.

• 31. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                                    brian100780 Level 1

Thanks for teaching me how to teach. Who do u think u are?

Sent from my iPad

• 32. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                      Who do u think u are?

C'mon teach, set a good example.  Spell out your "you's".

• 33. Re: AVI files in Premier Pro
                                                                        brian100780 Level 1

Too lazy

Sent from my iPhone 4