6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 9:47 AM by the_wine_snob

Two computers, .Prproj will not open in Premiere Pro OR Encoder!

NewTechieKitty

I uploaded a video file from a camcorder onto premiere pro at my school's computer. I worked on it, saved it, sent it to my gmail account. It played just fine when I exited the program and played it from its location on that computer (Hard Drive).

I get home to my own computer. I open it in gmail, save to my computer (desktop), and download a trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 for my PC. But Premiere Pro won't let me open the file, a message pops up saying "where is the 'file name here.avi' file? And I find the file in the browse window, click on it, and then another message pops up File type not supported. EVEN THOUGH it's a Prproj file!

1) Why is it asking me to locate it when I just opened the file?

2) Why is it asking me to locate an .avi file when the file extension is prproj?

Next, I wanted to just stick it in Encoder to convert the file type to something easier, like wmv. It can't find the file in this program, either! Is there another program I can use to convert prproj to wmv or is there any solution to this seemingly impossible situation?! I need that video!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Two computers, .Prproj will not open in Premiere Pro OR Encoder!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The PRPROJ (Project file) file is ONLY an XML database with links to the media (where these files were located on the computer), and instruction sets on what to do with them. There are no media files in the .PRPROJ file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Two computers, .Prproj will not open in Premiere Pro OR Encoder!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some background on PRPROJ files, plus some tips on the differences with the three Save options.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you will need those media files. I'd use an external HDD, and would set the drive letter the same in the OS of both computers.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Two computers, .Prproj will not open in Premiere Pro OR Encoder!
              NewTechieKitty Level 1

Thanks!

So, in the future, would it be easier to just burn it onto a disk or convert it to a .wmv format?

• 4. Re: Two computers, .Prproj will not open in Premiere Pro OR Encoder!
                shooternz Level 6

With all due respect...

In the near future ....it would pay to spend a little bit of time reading the Premiere manual (.pdf or online)

and understanding how a NLE works and the difference between media files and project files.

If there is a little bit of Premiere training available to you , it will be worth undertaking because it is obvious your understanding is a little short of what this forum can offer at this stage in your editing education without long involved threads.

What can be offered here will come after you tell us a little about your media and your project (settings) and your computer and what you are trying to produce as a movie.

Be assured I am trying to help you and not be negative about your question.

• 5. Re: Two computers, .Prproj will not open in Premiere Pro OR Encoder!
                  Brandalarm Level 1

NewTechieKitty ,

What the people above are saying is absolutely right. A PRPROJ file is just a piece of information that REFERS to existing mediafiles (source files) and how they are structured, edited, etc... (in which order, ...). It does not contain all the media files itself, that would be lunatic because the Proj file would become huge as you movie became longer.

So, it's not a problem to make a Project on different computers, BUT you need to make sure that on both computers you have all files at your disposal: that means the PrProj file(s), the source files which you edit, and probably also a map of Rendered files (at my computer it's called 'Adobe Premiere Preview files'), in which Premiere saves some information. If you miss ANY OF THESE, your Project will NOT work on another computer.

To answer your question: yes, if you are handling a small movieproject, you could indeed burn all of the files mentioned above on a disk and take them home, but i strongly advise using an External Harddisk, on which you place the source files, the project, the Preview files, ... the entire project.

If you switch between computers, Premiere will ask you were the rendered files and the source files are, and you just click the file on the location on your Ext.Harddisk.

I hope this helped you,

Goodluck ,

Jef

• 6. Re: Two computers, .Prproj will not open in Premiere Pro OR Encoder!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    So, in the future, would it be easier to just burn it onto a disk or convert it to a .wmv format?

Not really. If you wish to continue editing, then the ultimate way to migrate Projects is to use an external HDD initially.

Here is the basis of the setup:

1.) set the drive letter for that external HDD in the OS on each computer. VERY IMPORTANT.

2.) set up your Project's folder structure. I use each Project as a root folder, with my media folders, etc., below that. This would look something like this: My_Project (obviously named for the Project), under which would be Video, Audio, Music, Stills and my ProPro Scratch Disks.

3.) Copy (also important) the Assets to the appropriate sub-folders.

4.) Choose New Project and locate it in the root folder My Project.

5.) Import the Assets into that Project.

6.) edit as desired

7.) Save Project

8.) plug that external into the other computer and continue to edit

Caveats: I'd look into an absolute minimum of FireWire 400, but FW-800 (IEEE-1394b), or eSATA, would be better. Do NOT use USB, please.

As an alternate plan, one could Export to a DV-AVI Type II (for an SD Project), and then transfer that file to the other computer to edit. However, this will be a large file, at about 13GB/hour of Duration. Also, I would strongly recommend not editing too tightly, keeping the Clips longer, and NOT adding any Transitions yet, unless you are absolutely sure that they will NOT be edited out later on.

Do not go to a DVD-Video disc, as this will Transcode to MPEG-2 and that is both compressed and is GOP (Group of Pictures). These are not meant to be edited. Do not use WMV as an intermediate, as there is also heavy compression, and those files are designed for streaming media, and not meant to be edited. To edit them requires inordinate computer horsepower, and they are slow, and the quality will not be up to par with your original Assets. Avoid both, while still editing.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt