4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 7:16 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements choppy when editing. Help!

Austin0406

I am completely new to Adobe Premiere, these forums, and I'm not very well versed in all the lingo here with formats and such. I jut can't seem to fix this one problem on my computer. I am using Windows 7 on my laptop that fulfills all the requirements (but one I think) that Element 8 demands. And when I edit clips of video, and when I play it back, it is extremely choppy. I even downloaded the latest update, and that didn't fix it. The one requirement I don't think I have is: "Update device drivers and DirectX and IEEE 1394 components to the latest versions.". Because I don't even know what that stuff means and if I really need it.

Does anyone know what is wrong, and how to fix it? If you need more information about my computer or video clips please ask me, and I hope I can answer them. But I really need to get this working, especially since half the reason I bought it was to help me in my Media Arts major.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements choppy when editing. Help!
          nealeh Level 5

We definitely need more information about your PC, Camcorder,Video clips and how those clips got onto the PC. See Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements choppy when editing. Help!
            VDOSurfer Level 3

Let me jump to a conclusion

Press Enter to render the timeline after editing. Then try playback and let us know. Project presets are vital here, but rendering does not hurt..

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements choppy when editing. Help!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, as we continually remind people on this forum, much depends on what kind of camcorder your video came from and how you got it into your computer.

It's very important that your source video match your project settings exactly.

And it's just as important to note that some formats (i.e., video from still camera, video from a Flip cam) will not work in Premiere Elements without being converted first.

Also, as VDOSurfer indicates, if you've got red lines above your clips on your timeline, you need to render your timeline. Certain video formats (such as AVCHD) need to be constantly rendered even to run smoothly on a quad core processor. (What are your computer's specs?)

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements choppy when editing. Help!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

While you are gathering the info, that Neale's linked article asks for, here are some other articles, that will help, first getting your computer ready for an editing session, and then giving you some background on file types, what they mean and then a little info on CODEC's, the building blocks of Audio-Video files:

Tuning your system is covered in both this ARTICLE, and in several FAQ entries, found at the right-hand side of the main forum page.

This ARTICLE discusses file types and explains how they are just "wrappers," which can contain many things.

This ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail on CODEC's, the building-blocks of AV files.

I also recommend Steve Grisetti's books on PrE, his Learning Series and his Boot Camp series, all available on Muvipix.

Good luck,

Hunt