3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 2:06 PM by hostzombie

Flash Embed not working in Safari or IE

hostzombie Level 1

I am using .flv format and DW CS3. I am unable to get embed to work at all. DW Preview in Safari works fine, but not in FireFox

and no browsers work when viewing from the web. Even IE on PC does not work from the web. Something is very wrong.

I have tried everything I can think of. I have spent 3 hours on this and cannot get any .flv files to play on the internet.

I do have a page I made a year ago and it only works in DW Safari preview.  Copying and pasting the code and then swapping the parameters

and file names will not work either. I have checked url's and all seems fine. I am lost and very frustrated. I feel like CS3 is

broken or something major is wrong.

I have the AC_run scripts loaded, correct addresses, file names, etc. Weird thing is that even copying and pasting entire working <div>

to another page will not work.

I would MUCH rather use MP4 video (h264), but IE cannot play it. Everyone says flash is most compatible. not sure how they came

to that conclusion. Seems a wreck to me.

I would have to make a dummy test page to post any links, since current content is a bit personal, so hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Flash Embed not working in Safari or IE
          hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

look here (my answer and Nancy's): http://forums.adobe.com/message/2710713#2710713

Hans-G.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash Embed not working in Safari or IE
            hostzombie Level 1

I have tweaked the page code based on your suggestions but still not working.

I now have 3 blank white boxes, one for each .flv video, at the correct size, in all browsers.

Obvious idea would be the url is wrong, but all files are in the same folder. (I have uploaded

the JS files to every folder just in case!)

I am assuming it's OK to use both JS files.

<SCRIPT src="../../../scripts/AC_ActiveX.js" type="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT src="../../../scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

Currently, the Dreamweaver CS3 "Preview in Browser" feature works in Safari, Firefox, Opera... so some progress has been made!

Page does not work live online, in any browser! (IE included)

Is there a way to force Dreamweaver to "re-Create" the javascripts/script folder? Current scripts are 2 years old.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Flash Embed not working in Safari or IE
              hostzombie Level 1

I have solved the problem!!

I created a new test page with 3 flv files on it and compared the code, folder, scripts etc.

So simple! Turns out I no longer had the progressive-player file or the skins file on the site.

My modified page just could not find the  "FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf" because it was not there!

I just need more practice. Problem is I'm doing everything myself and I never seem to do the same thing twice.

Everything from site design to video production, to copy writing, to walking the neighborhood passing out flyers!

I'm on a Mac Pro, so photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, final cut, VisualHub and a half dozen other programs keep me very busy!!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions... they got me on the right track!