2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 3:35 PM by cathykimball

Can I trigger a sound on rollover with spry menu?

cathykimball Level 1

I am using a spry menu (horizontal) for a client's website. He really wants to have a sound as the viewer rolls over the tab that triggers the dropdown.

Is it possible to do this using the spry menu in Dreamweaver CS4?

• 1. Re: Can I trigger a sound on rollover with spry menu?
          370H55V Level 4

It is possible using javascript, but I'm not the only one who'll tell you, probably the most annoying thing you can do is add sounds to a website that play automatically and that the visitor can't turn off or control the volume of without muting their system.

I read a "horror story" about a gun store that hired some friend of the owner to build their site. Imagine about three seconds after the homepage loads (and you have iTunes playing as you work) suddenly the office is filled with the sound of automatic gunfire (too likely an occurrence, to be taken lightly these days). Poor fellow was looking for ammuntion prices for an upcoming hunting trip (all perfectly legal) and scared three co-workers so badly they nearly quit their jobs.

Granted, your client probably doesn't want anything like that, but one of the quickest ways to drive people away from a site is the have an annoying click, or swoosh every time they navigate to a different page.

• 2. Re: Can I trigger a sound on rollover with spry menu?
            cathykimball Level 1

Basically what they want is just a little ding when you either rollover or click the button. I also am very much opposed to automatic sound playing without the user initiating it. However, I must admit I have been bullied by clients in the past into doing it.

My problem is that I am not sure how to initiate the sound-play using the spry menu button as a trigger. Would it just be a JavaScript behavior attached to the text on the button?