I am new to Flash and am having a problem - I am creating a little mini site for the web. The buttons within the movie work fine but when I create a button from a graphic, and try to tell this to link to an external website and open in a new window I am getting : Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference, in the Output and when I click on the button nothing happens. I have found lots on the web about this error but nothing that i can understand enough to fix the problem. I just want to make a button from a graphic and link to somewhere - the code I am using for the buttons is:
I have this code attached to a key frame .....
what does this error mean and why can't I do this seemingly simple thing?
any ideas will be hugely appreciated ...
Two things... one is to use a movieclip for the button (with the graphic in it) rather than a button symbol.
The 1009 error indicates that one of the objects being targeted by your code is out of scope, likely the vim_btn. While this could be a bug related to converting symbols into button symbols, this could also mean that the object....
- is not in the display list
- doesn't have an instance name (or the instance name is mispelled)
- does not exist in the frame where that code is trying to talk to it
- is animated into place but is not assigned instance names in every keyframe for it
- is one of two or more consecutive keyframes of the same objects with different names assigned.
If you go into your Publish Settings Flash section and select the option to Permit debugging, your error message should have a line number following the frame number which will help you isolate which object is involved.