3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 9:01 PM by JETalmage-71mYin

problem with large amounts of grids

Luke Thomas Smith

Dear all

I am constructing large scale pieces of work in illustrator using the grid tool.

I am producing small duplicate grids which i colour to make up an image within the grids.

The problem is when I get to a certain point I am told that there isn't enough memory to continue, therefore I am having to split the image into several documents which I then have lines up when I come to print.

I want to do even smaller grids but that means more documents to line up and the printers hate me already!

Is there a way to convert the grids when they are completed into something that takes up less memory so i can use one document?

Thanks

• 2. Re: problem with large amounts of grids
          JETalmage-71mYin Level 3

It's difficult to advise without better explanation of how you are creating the grids and using them to constuct the artwork, the size & number of grids invloved, and the kind of artwork you are building. But on the face of it, it sounds like a poor workflow.

So far, it almost sounds like you are drawing grids and filling them with color so as to make a mosaic that would be the vector equivilant to a raster image--a pointless excercise.

Explain exactly and completely what you are doing, which tools you are using.

JET

• 3. Re: problem with large amounts of grids
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I made this a 24 x 36 inch document with each inch divided by 8.

Then made it  live paint Group and use d the bucket to fill in areas by dragging over the areas rather than one square at a time.

Screen shot 2010-04-07 at 12.28.16 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-04-07 at 12.28.34 AM.png

If you get rid of the strokes first before converting t a Live Paint group you have no spaces between the squares.

IF you want you can draw a rectangle to the size you need then Go to Object >Path>Split into Grid and leave no space for the gutters then you have a grid as well that can be filled individually or as  part of a Live Paint Group.

You can also go to Object> Expand and object flatten Transparency and that might help as well.

The other thing you can do is every so often save the fie and quit and relaunch Illustrator.