10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 10:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Saving in MPEG format - no audio!

EmotionalStone

Hi,

I finished my project and saved as 'MPEG' - which is "recommended for DVDs and playback on the computer". I did this twice with the result of no audio track. The third time, I went into 'Settings' and changed 'Dolby Digital' to 'MPEG'. This worked. What is this DOLBY DIGITAL setting? Am I losing something by not using this setting?

Appreciate it,

Anthony

• 1. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Dolby Digital is the standard high-quality stereo format for DVDs.

If you are having trouble getting audio with your output, it could be related to your source video. What type of camcorder did this video come from?

• 2. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For a DVD-Video, the two accepted Audio streams are PCM/WAV and DD AC3. MPEG Audio is only an optional stream in PAL-land and is falling out of favor.

I would choose PCM/WAV, often listed as [Uncompressed].

Also, make sure that in your Export/Share settings, you have both Audio & Video checked, and that you then have DVD set in the Multiplexer tab. Do not set this to None.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

To expound on the two DVD-compliant Audio formats/CODEC's a bit.

With DD AC3, one has two advantages: the file size will be smaller, as it is a compressed format, but a good one, and one can do multi-channel DD 5.1 SS, but not from PrE. In PrPro, it takes a US$ 250 plug-in encoder from Minnetonka Audio/SurCode.

PCM/WAV can only be 1, or 2-channel, is uncompressed, so is more "pure," but with larger size.

Now, the Video in a DVD-Video MPEG-2 takes up most of the space. The file size saving with AC3, is a tiny portion of that file size, but it is there.

If one is doing bit-budgeting to get the highest quality Video encoding (high motion, etc.), and the file size is getting to the limit of a disc, often going with DD AC3 will give enough extra room, to up the bit-rate of the Video enough to get the best, within the size limits.

Obviously, if one is Exporting/Sharing to a fully DVD-compliant MPEG-2, they are using a separate authoring program to produce the DVD.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
                EmotionalStone Level 1

Hi,

My Camcorder is a

SONY CAMCORDER DCR-SR57

Anthony

• 5. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Anthony,

It looks like that camera does do Surround Sound. Do you have that feature enabled?

Is your Project Preset a DD 5.1 SS one?

Note: PrE cannot encode to DD 5.1 SS in Export/Share. You will only have a mix-down of the DD 5.1 SS to stereo.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
                    Chrisholly Level 1

Hi All

I had a similar issue to Anthony - losing AC3 audio in a .mpg file.  I created a small project to evaluate the various outputs from PrE8.  When outputing the project via Share -> Personal Computing -> MPEG -> PAL DVD Widescreen the resulting .mpg file did not seem to have audio when played through WMP.  Both MediaInfo and Gspot found a AC3 audio stream but WMP would not play audio. 

Interestingly if I change the Multiplexing option to None in the Advanced Export Settings the 2 resulting files project.ac3 and project.m2v work fine in  WMP ie I hear audio track when playing the .ac3 file and video is good when playing the .m2v file

If I change the Advance Export Settings and select MPEG audio then resulting .mpg file plays perfectly - audio and video.

I did try outputing a DVD type structure through the Share -> Disc -> DVD -> Burn to Folder option, produced a DVD structure that worked just fine as well.

It seems that the muxing of video and AC3 is breaking down somewhere.  This is not really a major issue for me as I will probably be creating HD files for playback on a HTPC.

Project preset: PAL - AVCHD - Full HD 1080i 25

Source: AVCHD .mts file from a Canon HF20. 1920x1080i at 25fps.

Computer: i7 920, 3GB ram, 3HDD (Samsung SATA2, 7200), Win 7 32bit, Nvidia 9800GT (driver ver 197.13) 

Other : installed ffdshow (latest beta) and Haali splitter

Rgds Chris

• 7. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
                      Rocyrock

I thought I would ask my question here first to see if I can get an answer.  I am having the same problem, but I am not getting the option to fix it the way you did.  My filepath goes from the edit drop down to "preferences" and "project settings" but nether of those gives me an option to switch from dolby digital to mpeg.  Is that option somewhere else on the menu?

I am having the same problem.  Sound plays fine in elements (I am using .wav files) but disappears after saving as mpeg.

Both my audio and video are checked on, and I have found that it will save and play sound from MP3 without a problem. 

Can anyone tell me why it is not saving the sound just from .wav files?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Rocyrock,

Welcome to the forum.

I do not have PrE 8, so cannot probably address some of your questions - things moved around a bit, in PrE 8. However, in your Multiplexer tab, what settings do you have to choose from and what do you have set?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
                          Rocyrock Level 1

Hey, thanks Hunt.  Your fix did the trick.

• 10. Re: Saving in MPEG format - no audio!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the Multiplexing was the issue. Many users just stop at Export Audio and Export Video, and do not look at the Multiplexing settings.

Good luck,

Hunt