6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 10:53 AM by Ed.Macke

Canon PowerShot 1200 IS MJPEG AVI

Ed.Macke Level 3

My daughter is about to get a little P&S Canon PowerShot 1200 for her birthday.

The specs say it saves the movie to AVI ("Motion JPEG").

I'm guessing I'm going to want to covert that into DV-AVI before bringing it into PRE, correct? Does anybody have any suggestions for software to convert the MJPEG AVI to DV-AVI?

• 1. Re: Canon PowerShot 1200 IS MJPEG AVI
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Many users report great results when they just install either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC. It seems that these work almost perfectly with PrPro CS4, and mostly with PrE. I'd get one, or the other, and test the footage for native editing. I think that both have a trial. I believe the the Morgan watermarks with the trial, and just do not recall about the MainConcept. As Adobe uses many other MainConcept CODEC's, that was the one that I went with, and in my limited tests, PrPro works great with the MJPEG files from Nikon D-90's.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Canon PowerShot 1200 IS MJPEG AVI
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For the vast majority of people, though, the best solution is to convert the file to a DV-AVI, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

There's even more information in my free article on Muvipix.com, Converting Video for Premiere Elements.

• 3. Re: Canon PowerShot 1200 IS MJPEG AVI
              Ed.Macke Level 3

So just so I understand, there are basically 2 viable options?

1) Install a new CODEC so that I can edit the footage as-is in PRE, and

2) Convert the footage to DV-AVI or HDV and edit the converted footage in PRE.

My plan was to convert the footage first, especially since there seem to be free options for that. This would only be a once-in-a-while thing for putting her videos up on YouTube, that kind of thing, so I don't want to spend the $$$ for a CODEC for just that. If I were to upgrade my D80 to the D90, maybe things would be different.

I think the highest resolution the Canon shoots is 640x480, so I'd be looking at converting to DV-AVI, correct?

Is it also correct that DV-AVI can't support HD resolutions (e.g. 720p, 1080i), so those resolutions would require converting to HDV?

• 4. Re: Canon PowerShot 1200 IS MJPEG AVI
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Pretty much. yes.

• 5. Re: Canon PowerShot 1200 IS MJPEG AVI
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I think the highest resolution the Canon shoots is 640x480, so I'd be looking at converting to DV-AVI, correct?

Is it also correct that DV-AVI can't support HD resolutions (e.g. 720p, 1080i), so those resolutions would require converting to HDV?

Correct on both counts. DV = 720 x 480 in NTSC-land.

For a conversion, I would go the DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) route, and then everything will work fine in PrE. You will be limited to Exporting/Sharing to DV resolution, but with that footage, you don't have more resolution to work with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Canon PowerShot 1200. Correction: Sony DSC-TX1
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

OK, change of plans: we're now going with a Sony DSC-TX1 camera.

I'd like to say that it was for some technical reason, but it's really because the first priority was that the camera be pink, and the store was out of the pink Canons. Don't ask. My wife was doing the shopping

So this camera says it saves HD (1280 x 720p, 30fps, 9Mbps) to MPEG4 format (sadly, only to a Memory Stick, not SDHC).This looks like it would fall into your "Hybrid Solutions" category: MPEGs from Flash Drive Camcorders (although it's really a P&S camera, not a camcorder, I think it still applies)???

But I'm a little confused.

Most of the conversion info talks about converting to DV-AVI. But DV-AVI format won't support HD, so I'm thinking I need to convert it to something else. HDV / MPEG / M2T / M2TS are all bandied about as options, but it's not real clear what the ideal is; whether it's possible to go from MPEG4 to that ideal; nor which tool I would use (most tools seem to be to convert to DV-AVI).

Thanks!