6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 10:39 PM by martcol

Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4?

deborrah120

Hi. Learning DW CS4 now and redoing my entire site with it to use div tags and CSS. Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4 before I redo them? Does it matter? Is it a more restrictive language? On a Mac G5 10.5.8.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4?
          370H55V Level 4

You should convert them to XHTML 1.0 transitional eventually, but you don't need to before you've redone them.

More importantly, the syntax should be correct.

The Commands>Clean up XHTML tool is great for doing that.

You need to make sure that your page ID is showing XHTML 1.0 Transitional and then put it to the server.

Once it's up, check it at http://validator.w3.org/check/referer for compliance.

It's always a good feeling to see the Green bar of approval there.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4?
            martcol Level 4

Why are you using the DocType that you have?

I'm guessing now, but depending on your site, I wonder if it will make any difference to you at all?

There is a debate out there to be listened to over the choice between HTML or XHTML which has changed recently because of HTML 5.0.  You also have a choice between Strict and Transitional so it might be an interesting bit of research for you to find out which way to go.

Martin

• 3. Re: Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4?
              deborrah120 Level 1

Once my page is converted, cleaned up, the ID is showing xhtml, and I put it to the server, then I check it with the validator for compliance? And will that check the syntax?

thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4?
                deborrah120 Level 1

What is the DocType? I don't know what you mean. I built my site with DW8. Now I'm redesigning it completely.

Maybe converting is not necessary? That is why I posted my question.

Are you suggesting to wait, because of HTML 5.0?

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4?
                  370H55V Level 4

"What is the DocType?"

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 transitional//en" "http://www.w3.org/tr/xhtml1/dtd/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Unless you have a script running ahead of it, the DocType is the very first line of code in your HTML.

If you are using your original DW8 files they are not likely transitional XHTML, but rather they are strict HTML.

If you're going to "overhaul" the site to DIVs and CSS from tables and cells, you'll do well to use the transitional DocType line listed
                  above to declare the page type.

Converting is not necessary, but will help with SEO, making it easier for crawlers to index. At least that's what I've been told.
                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Should I convert my DW8 files to XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DW CS4?
                    martcol Level 4

The DocType is the declaration at the very top of the page. There's a brief introduction here; http://webdesign.about.com/od/dtds/a/aa101700a.htm and plenty more to Google!

Not so long ago I think that the general feeling was that pages should use (X)HTML because this was seen to be forwards compatible.  Then HTML 5.0 came along and everyone seems to like HTML again.  There are different reasons for using the various document types and I don't suppose any of them are incorrect if the person using the DocType knows why it is being used.

I'm not suggesting that you use one over the other but it wouldn't hurt to find out a little more of the difference between (X)HTML and HTML and Strict and Transitional.  I'm not suggesting either, to wait for HTML 5.0.  I think that you should make your decion to either change or not and then not worry about it.

For myself, I always go with (X)HTML Strict because I once read that it was a good idea.  I've since read that it's not such a good idea except where I've read that it's is a good idea it was like reading a foreign language!  In fact, I think I would suggest that working out the difference between Strict and Transitional might be a better way to go although, I'm no expert.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure that changing your DocType will make a lot of difference to you in the long-run.

Martin