2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 7:47 PM by pixlor

Website quality?

Joushouma Hickman

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I am in the process of designing a much needed website. I want to be safe with this first design so I'm using very neutral colors. My main concern is when I preview my website in the browser the quality of images and text I have placed within it seems to not be clear as I would like to. Is this normal? and if not, what are good ways to optimize your image quality in Fireworks? What file type should my index be? Gif 256 or Jpeg? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Website quality?
          JoyceEvans Level 3

Jpg for photos and gradients, Gif forvector images and text.

Select image

Open Optimize panel

Set selections there

Use Preview 2-uo or 4-up to compare setting differences

Settings can be different for each slice.

if yoy don't define slices then all is exported to whatever is set in Optimize panel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Website quality?
            pixlor Level 4

Joushouma Hickman wrote:

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I am in the process of designing a much needed website. I want to be safe with this first design so I'm using very neutral colors. My main concern is when I preview my website in the browser the quality of images and text I have placed within it seems to not be clear as I would like to. Is this normal? and if not, what are good ways to optimize your image quality in Fireworks? What file type should my index be? Gif 256 or Jpeg? Thanks!

You can also use a PNG8 or PNG24 instead of GIF and sometimes a PNG24 instead of a JPG, it just depends on the image. JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group, and they designed that format especially for photographs.

There are many ways to be safe with your design. But...you still want your site to be visually interesting! I like browsing around Design Meltdown (http://www.designmeltdown.com/), which is a showcase of Web sites and Smashing Magazine (http://www.smashingmagazine.com/) has all kinds of good articles, from practical advice to roundups of cutting-edge design ideas.