12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 12:00 AM by TerrierHenry

Missing Export Formats

TerrierHenry

I am a complete Newbie but on route to solving other problems, I have just downloaded 30-day trial of Premier-Pro.

I want to save my project to a DVD format (MP2 etc) but these options are missing from Export/Media/Formats drop down list. I have watched Paul Trani video where they are shown. What am I doing wrong?

I have tried projects with a .wmv file as the only asset and then .avi, no difference. I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle.

Any pointers appreciated.

• 1. Re: Missing Export Formats
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The only fault you made, is that you did not look at the FAQ section. It states clearly that nothing MPEG is supported in the trial and that includes exporting to DVD. Do not feel ashamed. At least 23,000 others by the last count have overlooked that FAQ section and asked the same question.

You have full MPEG functionality in the paid version and Adobe has a 30 day refund policy.

• 2. Re: Missing Export Formats
            TerrierHenry Level 1

Harm, thanks for your quick response, appreciated.

Actually, I did look at FAQ but only one category heading seemed relevant but turmed out not to be so. If 23,000 other people have the same problem, then it should have it's own section!

I actually did a Google on the issue but again found nothing relevant.

The real villain is Adobe, if there are restrictions to the trial they should make that clear, I looked long and hard for these restrictions but found nothing. How difficult is it to put those on the download web page.

This is my first encounter with Adobe directly, and I am not impressed. I have my criticisms of Microsoft (I am a developer) but they would do better than this.

What a waste of my time, I'm not going out and spending £600+ on something that I cannot see working. Visual Studio is a £2000 product, but I can trial the full version for 90 days.

Sorry, not impressed, but many thanks for your response. I'll uninstall it.

• 3. Re: Missing Export Formats
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry for the disappointing news, but that is Adobe. Many have  complained about it, including myself, but nothing changes.

Many can tell you it works, but if you want to SEE it work, get the full version and if you don't like it, get a refund within 30 days.

• 4. Re: Missing Export Formats
                TerrierHenry Level 1

Thanks for your supporting comments.

I won't bother trying to understand the T's and C's of the 30 day refund, I may misunderstand another little restriction and end up £600 out of pocket.

Perhaps you could help me with one small point connected with the project: can you roughly estimate what a 8 MB .wmv file might convert to as a MP2 DVD, or is more data needed than that?

regards

• 5. Re: Missing Export Formats
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

WMV source is bad! It is a delivery format not intended for editing. It has been heavily compressed. Re-encoding to another heavily compressed format like MPEG2-DVD means another quality hit.

As to you question, encode the WMV at the highest possible bitrate to minimize the quality loss, and it will definitely fit on a DVD. Whether it will amount to 800 MB, less or more, that can not be answered without knowing the duration of the clip and the encoding settings used to make the WMV.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Missing Export Formats
                    TerrierHenry Level 1

Harm,

Thanks again.

Not quite sure why you choose 800MB, are you speculating that 8MB wmv will bloat to 800MB as MP2-DVD?

I was hoping to get about 15 of these files on the one DVD. The clips are about 1 hour long, webcasts, lots of still screens, with audio. Below are the properties, from Pre-Pro, of one example: (I have no control over the original format):

File Path: C:\Assembler\Tutorials\Webcasts\livemeeting.wmv
                    Type: Windows Media
                    File Size: 7.4 MB
                    Image Size: 704 x 528
                    Pixel Depth: 32
                    Frame Rate: 4.00
                    Source Audio Format: 8000 Hz - 16 bit - Mono
                    Project Audio Format: 8000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                    Total Duration: 00;53;42;14
                    Average Data Rate: 2 KB / second
                    Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

regards

PS: If you're getting tired of my questions, feel free to not answer!

• 7. Re: Missing Export Formats
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Henry,

The 800 MB is an example. Your 53 minute WMV has been extremely compressed to occupy only 7.4 MB. If you want to encode this to MPEG2-DVD and especially if you want to have multiple clips on that DVD it is going to look great for your ophthalmologist (he will get lots of new clients) but lousy for your public. The encoding time will be pretty long becasue of your weird dimensions and audio setup, that needs to get transcoded to MPEG2-DVD.

You may be better off with data DVD's that contain all your WMV's and just play them from a computer instead of a settop box.

For comparison, a 3 minute HD (720) WMV of reasonable quality takes around 30 MB, so your compression with 53 minutes duration is extreme.

• 8. Re: Missing Export Formats
                        TerrierHenry Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, sounds like I'm going the wrong way.

Yes, life would be simple if I dumped them onto a DVD (or CD) but I wanted the 'audience' to be able to use a normal DVD player for various reasons.

Need to think about this a bit more, thanks for your generous help.

regards

walter (henry is my lakeland terrier, ran out of ideas trying to create a 'screen name' that Adobe was happy with)

henryPortrait1.JPG

• 9. Re: Missing Export Formats
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Walter,

Try encoding the WMV with 2-pass CBR at 3500 kbps and burn it on a RW disc and see how it looks. If that is acceptable, you can probably fit 3 of these WMV's on a single disc, assuming you use 192 kbps Dolby stereo sound. You may have to change the bitrate a bit to fit three of these 53 minute  sequences on one disc, but you can use this calcultator http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php to find the correct encode settings.

Sorry for mixing Henry and Walter.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Missing Export Formats
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use WMV (as already noted, they are output, not edit files) but MS has free tools

Edit WMV http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/getstarted/default.mspx
                            and http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

I do not know if either will output into a DVD format... but they are free to try

Also, for a lot less money, you might look at Premiere Elements

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premiere_elements

IF it will work with WMV input files (ask in the forum) it includes an integrated DVD creation module

• 11. Re: Missing Export Formats
                              TerrierHenry Level 1

Harm,

That's a lot of technospeak, will decode it in due course.

Many thanks for your help.

walter

• 12. Re: Missing Export Formats
                                TerrierHenry Level 1

John,

Thanks for the links, I will investigate shortly.

Thanks for the input.

walter