15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 11:34 AM by Zac Lam

Get My Mojo Working

richphotog

I have Premiere Elements 3 and have used it for years with a Sony HDR camera. I have recently got a Nikon D300s. Pre3 will not allow me to create a project that is 720P 25fps that is closest to the 720 24p material coming out of the Nikon so i am thinking of upgrading to Pre8. However...

I have also been recently playing with Red Bullet's Mojo plugin for Premiere and having juggled the plugin files around accordingly this works fine in Elements 3. I have copied the pluging to what would appear to be the right folder for Elements 8 and whilst the plugin appears in the fx menu when I click on it the application crashes.

Is anyone else using Red Bullet plugins in Elements?

Is it possible that the demo version of 8 doesn't have the required extra bits needed to run the plugin and that the full version will make it work?

Any ideas gratefully accepted as at the moment I have to run in Elements 3 using a 720p 30fps timeline which is not ideal for 24p footage.

• 1. Re: Get My Mojo Working
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's most likely that no version of Premiere Elements will work with that cam, rich. For one thing, no version of Premiere Elements is equipped to work with 24p.

Your best bet would be to upgrade to Premiere Pro -- even it's a not-current version.

• 2. Re: Get My Mojo Working
            richphotog Level 1

Well i've already pulled the files into Elements, cut them, and exported something. I was only messing around so havn't fine tuned a workflow for optimum quality, processing etc.. but Elements certainly reads and renders the files. I'll admit I was somewhat surprised.

• 3. Re: Get My Mojo Working
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can't argue with success, Rich! Glad it's working for you.

• 4. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                richphotog Level 1

That's not my main issue though. The key question is should I expect  to be able to use Mojo as a plugin in Elements 8? It works in Elements 3  but not in the demo of 8 that I have downloaded. Is there anyone using  Mojo in 8? If so can they offer guidance on how to get it working OR  would we expect it to not work in 8? in which case I'll give up and  stick with version 3.

• 5. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

I'd contact Red Giant and check on the compatibility with PrE 8, and also your OS. There might even be info on their Web site, regarding compatibility.

I've noticed that several popular plug-ins did not work in PrE 8, or PrPro CS4. Many developers are working on these compatibility issues,  so it might take an update and time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking at the Red Giant Magic Bullet Mojo COMPATIBILITY PAGE, I do not see PrE listed at all. They also have a SUPPORT PAGE, and compatibility issues are listed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                      Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Rich,

Do you get any error messages before the app crashes?  If so, can you let us know what you're seeing?

If you're getting [..\..Src\Clip\MasterClipFactory.cpp-361], I may be able to help...

• 8. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                        richphotog Level 1

Hi,

Yep that's exactly the error i am getting...

12-04-2010 22-44-37.png

I was wondering if, because I am only using the demo version, there might be a whole host of extra stuff on the full install that I've not got installed.

Any ideas?

Rich

• 9. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                          Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Rich,

Here's something for you to try.  In  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Plug-ins\Common\EffectPreviews\ make a copy of one of the pngs.  For example, make a copy of AE.ADBE AECrop.png, and rename the newly created file to "AE.ADBE MagicBulletMojo.png".

This should satisfy Premiere Elements' requirement that a thumbnail preview be preset for each installed effect.  If Magic Bullet Mojo were officially compatible with Premiere Elements, the thumbnail would need to be installed be the installer, but hopefully this is an easy workaround.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                            richphotog Level 1

Hi Zac,

Thanks for you help. Creating a preset Thumbnail for the preset seems to get it accepted by Pre8 and clicking on it does not cause the previous error message. However after dragging the preset onto a piece of media the application seems fine for about a second and then, having applied the effect to the preview image, crashes out briefly showing this message on screen...

new crash.png

..before then closing the DOS window and presenting the Adobe 'report your crash' dialoge. It all happens so quickly I actually had to use some screen recording software just to see what was in this window.

Any ideas on how to progress? It's worth restating that the Plugin works in Pre3 that is running on the same machine so it can't be a hardware or spec issue. Clearly Pre8 is doing something odd.

Rich

• 11. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                              Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hmm... If you're interested, you could try following the recommendation in the warning.  To do that, you'd need to set an environment variable in Windows.

1) On Vista, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties

2) In the left sidebar, click Advanced System Settings

3) In the System Properties, Advanced panel, towards the button click the button Environment Variables

4) In the Environment Variables, System Variables section, hit the New button

5) Set the Variable name to KMP_ALL_THREADS, and the Variable value to something higher than 32, say 64 or even 128.

6) To start using the environment variable, log out of Windows and back in.

I'd be interested to know if this helps.

It's true that Premiere Elements is probably doing something differently here.  But from the error message, this also has to do with the Intel OpenMP library that Red Giant Mojo is using  for multithreading.  http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=48981  So it seems to be a result of the mixture of all three pieces of the puzzle.

Long term, probably the best thing would be to make a request to Red Giant Mojo to look at officially supporting Premiere Elements.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                                richphotog Level 1

Genius Zac,

This works, I'm onXP but the setting is the same and, set to 128 as a value, Mojo now runs happily in Pre8. The only thing not working now is the loading of presets. In Pre3 when I load the Mojo preset file i get this...

pre3.png

..but in Pre8 I get the Mojo line inserted in the list but no drop down icons indicating each preset...

pre8.png

If you've got a solution to this I think we'll have it cracked. And I'll be upgrading to Pre8 and buying Mojo.

Rich

• 13. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                                  Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Nice!  Glad to hear that worked.

Are these presets  installed by Mojo, or are those your own creations?  If installed by  Mojo, you should be able to see the Mojo preset file(s) alongside the built-in factory presets at:

Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Plug-ins\en_US\Effect  Presets\

Just copy any Mojo preset files from your v3 installation to the v8  installation.

• 14. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                                    richphotog Level 1

Hi Zac,

Finally got around to testing your last suggesting and it works..

15-04-2010 18-52-10.png

So I now have Magic Bullet Mojo working, with presents, in Premiere Elements 8 in a 720P timeline with 24p HD avi files coming directly from a Nikon D300s.

Many thanks for your help.

Rich

• 15. Re: Get My Mojo Working
                                      Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Awesome!  Sounds like you'll be producing some beautiful video with those tools.  Enjoy!