27 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 6:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Purple Preview Screen

GuppyFish09

Whenever I try to preview video, the screen has a purple hue, almost as if a filter is being applied.  Has anyone encountered this or know how to fix it?  Thanks in advance!

Karen

http://guppyfishweb.com

• 1. Re: Purple Preview Screen
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Karen,

Please take a look at this THREAD and the links within. Pay special attention to the comments by Jeff Bellune.

In the meantime, please update your video driver to the very latest.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Purple Preview Screen
            GuppyFish09 Level 1

Ok, I updated my video card drivers and am still having the problem.  The link in your message seemed to apply to a specific file type, but this is happening with all types of media, both video and picture.  The files in the current version are mpegs, but I have one mov file that is playing correctly, the only item to play correctly in the preview thus far.

Does this help with a possible cause?

Karen

• 3. Re: Purple Preview Screen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Karen,

Can you give us the full details of the MPEG files? MPEG, like AVI, WMV, MOV and others, is but a "wrapper," and can contain all sorts of stuff.

This ARTICLE will give you more background and tell you how to "peek inside" those wrappers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                JasonW503

Karen,

Look anything like this. I have the same problem and am frustrated. I too could use suggestions on how to resolve.

Dell Vostro 1520

Intel Core2 Duo 2.26

Windows Vista Basic

Adobe PE 8 with latest update

Jasoncrazy PE8 screen.jpg

• 5. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                  nealeh Level 5

You have a red line above your clip, meaning that you have not yet rendered your preview. Just press [ENTER] and, after a few moments, the line will go green.

You also seem to have empty space before the clip - try moving it to start at the beginning of the timeline.

Other basic things to do are to install:

• all Windows Updates
                  • latest QuickTime (7.6.6)
                  • latest sound and graphics drivers

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It also appears that this video is made up of still images. If so, have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

• 7. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jason,

What is your video card and driver version?

Also, what version of Apple QuickTime do you have installed?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                        JasonW503 Level 1

Images were too large. I modified a few down to 1000x750 to run a tes

t.Problem still persists.

Jason

• 9. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                          JasonW503 Level 1

Hunt,

Windows Vista Home Basic, 32 bit

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Version: 7.15.10.1624

Computer says "driver is up to date." I find on the web a newer version that says it's for the 4 Series and Vista Home Basic, but the further description spells out specific processors it's designed for. Mine is not listed. I'm tempted to try the update, but I don't want to screw anything up.

Apple QuickTime 7.6.6

• 10. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info.

Unfortunately, many have had issues with the Intel embedded graphics chips. Not sure that there is a cure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                              JasonW503 Level 1

Windows Vista Home Basic is up to date.

QuickTime is 7.6.6

Working on updating drivers.

I moved my images to the begining

of the timeline. Also downsized the photos. Rendered as suggested.

Now I get a teal colored solid. Worse than before. I suspect some sort of driver of video card incompatibility.

• 12. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                JasonW503 Level 1

If I understand you correctly, the built-in graphics card. Buy

a better graphics card and install.

This is what I have been suspecting.

Jason

• 13. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jason,

Several users have had great success by doing that. However, much depends on the available slots, the configuration of the computer, the BIOS, and the like.

Intel does not seem to be good at offering updated drivers with any sort of regularity, and that has proven problematic. For many years, I have been a fan of ATI (now AMD) and nVidia. Going way back, I liked the Matrox cards, but driver support was always lacking with them too. As I was doing little video editing, it wasn't THAT big a deal, but now it would be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                    GuppyFish09 Level 1

Hey, guys!

Sorry I've been MIA... since my last post, I've had a sick baby and had to put a dog down.  Not a fun week... this kind of went on the back burner.

I've pretty much got the same stuff as Jason.  I've decided that the purple hue in the preview screen is not a big deal since I have successfully been able to publish a movie that shows up normally.  I also had the red line above my clip, so I followed another poster's advice and pressed enter.  It rendered the preview, but now every time I click play, I can hear the audio, but the image stays the same.  Oy vay!

I'm also having a problem when I publish.  I opened a project (that had previously published successfully) and made some changes.  When I published again (as mpeg), the video is there but not the audio.  Any thoughts?

I have updated drivers, installed the latest version of Quicktime, and installed the Premeire Elements update.  I'd love to hear if you guys have any other direction.

Karen

http://guppyfishweb.com

• 15. Re: Purple Preview Screen

I've got something you can try.

I generally don't recommend people install a lot of codecs on their computers, but this is a great basic pack and it includes an automatic tool for repairing broken codecs. It's worked for me in the past.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

And, like I say, there's nothing here that will harm your computer and it won't bog your comput down with unnecessary junk. It simply installs some good, basic codecs and could very likely overwrite any corruptions that may be causing this strange behavior.

• 16. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                        GuppyFish09 Level 1

Thanks, Steve!

I went to the website, and I was wondering which version you recommend.

Should I do full, standard, or basic?

• 17. Re: Purple Preview Screen

They're all free. So you might as well go for the deluxe, which includes G Spot, a Codec Tweak Tool and a couple of other nice utilities.

• 18. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                            GuppyFish09 Level 1

You have a point... free is good!!!!!!!!!!!

• 19. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                              GuppyFish09 Level 1

Ok, I'm about to change my avatar to a pic of me pulling my hair out.

I installed the codec and rebooted and am still having similar problems, including:

• When I publish as Quicktime, the audio and video are neither together nor smooth.
                                              • Publishing as mpeg renders video but no sound
                                              • Preview plays normally for a few seconds, then freezes at the first transition... audio continues to play

I'm pretty close to uninstalling and reinstalling the software.  Any thoughts?

Karen

• 20. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                                JasonW503 Level 1

Karen,

With the various feedback I recieved, I went ahead and deavtivated and uninstalled my software. I had tried all of the suggested things. It's now for sale as used on Ebay if anyone is interested. I'll cut my losses now. I was done wrestling with it. I tried out a different piece of software and am not having any problems. Looks like I am going to go ahead and make that purchase. As much as I like Adobe products, this one just didn't work for me.

Good luck to you.

Jason

• 21. Re: Purple Preview Screen

Sure. Uninstalling and reinstalling might help. It often does.

But you've really got me stumped, Karen!

You're using miniDV footage or photos that have been optimized to video size and your system is completely updated. There is no reason this should not be working. Something is loopy here -- and I doubt very much that it's a bug in the program. (And I'm not an Adobe apologist. I would tell you if I believed you were seeing something related to the program itself.)

One other thing to try. Start a new project, import that footage into it and see if you get the same results. After all our updates and fixes, things might be working -- except that, for some reason, we're picking up an old render file or something.

If that does work, we may just need to dump our render files and clear the cache. (An easy thing to do.)

• 22. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Sorry to be coming into the topic very late and maybe this has been suggested somewhere, but.....

Have you looked at your purple image problem with and without "Enable GPU Playback" checked in Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Edit Menu/Preferences/General??

ATR

• 23. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                                      GuppyFish09 Level 1

Hi again!

Just wanted to let you know that I uninstalled and reinstalled, which seemed

to fix many of my problems.  The playback preferences didn't seem to make a

difference.  I'm still having issues with the quality of a Quicktime export,

but I can play around with that.

Thanks a bunch for all your help and suggestions!  What a great resource for

users of Adobe products.

Karen

• 24. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                                        musje1

I encoutered the same problem (purple preview screen). When i disabled 'Enable GPU playback' (Edit-Preferences-General) and restarted the program it was solved

• 25. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                                          JoA41 Level 1

I was having the same problem and it was also solved by disabling the "Enable GPU" option.  Now if other problems would just go away.  When I start the program by selecting a file to open the program does not open the file.  I have to select it again in the screen that comes up, so it is a wasted effort.  Why have that option if it doesn't work?

• 26. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to start a new post, regarding this problem. I'd also provide as much detail, as is possible, so that we can see exactly what is happening, and when.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Purple Preview Screen
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

JoA41

I see that Hunt has suggested that you start you own new thread so that your issues get full attention. That is always the best idea.

However, maybe we could quickly settle the last problem that you mentioned here to get it out of the way of more complicated issues in your own new thread. What you are observing has all the ring of you using the Premiere Elements 8 setup where the user accesses the program through a Welcome Screen.

You can bypass the Welcome Screen.

When you install the program, an Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 icon is placed on your computer Desktop. Right click that and select Properties. In Properties, click on Find Target. That will take you to the Programs Files/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 and a file named Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe. Sitting right next to it in the Program Files is another file named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. That is the one that you want the Desktop icon to target. So, create a shortcut to the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and place that on the Desktop and put the default icon somewhere out of sight and use.

Glad that "Enable GPU Playback" unchecked worked for you. I hope that this retargeting of the Premiere Elements desktop icon is the answer to one of your concerns.

ATR