2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 8:33 AM by Matt Le Fevre

Flex chat program

Matt Le Fevre Level 4

I've recently been spending a bit of my spare time working on a light-weight simple chat application in flex, merely out of interest to see if it's plausible and how effective it is. It's a very simple app using PHP & a MySQL database.

I've tried to steer completely clear of all built in messaging functions and methods and do the entire thing from scratch.

I've got the stage now where it's stable enough (i hope) to test/receive feedback and suggestions. I've seen many posts up here in the past enquiring how to accomplish making something like this, so to everyone else wondering how to make something like this feel free to use my source code, it's all written up there.

I've included some basic functionality such as changing font colour, your name and status.

http://www.mattlefevre.com/viewExample.php?tut=flexPHP&proj=Chat%20Program

On my todo list that i already know how to do is:

- Changing font style

- Italic/bold/underline

- Sending files to other users

- Private conversations between users

i already know of several bugs that already exist in it, such as the scrolling issues.

but i was wondering if anybody else has any other ideas of things i could to integrate into it. Like i said it's only a tiny project out of curiosity, but it's good experience none the less.

• 1. Re: Flex chat program
          saisri2k2 Level 4

Yu could use some smileys . screen sharing.. video conferencing. photo sharing etc,. ofcoz challenges 2 u.

looks like the dtagrid is refreshed evry not and then.. the scroll comes down every time i scroll it up.

• 2. Re: Flex chat program
            Matt Le Fevre Level 4

saisri2k2 wrote:

Yu could use some smileys . screen sharing.. video conferencing. photo sharing etc,. ofcoz challenges 2 u.

yeah to do smilies i figured i'd have to make use of the new TextFlow component in flash builder,

photo sharing would be relatively simple to do, and video conferencing would be useful as well, thanks for the ideas

looks like the dtagrid is refreshed evry not and then.. the scroll comes down every time i scroll it up.

yeah the issue there is when the datagrid receives data, by default it scrolls all the way up to the top. In a chat app, you don't want this to occur, so i set it to scroll all the way to the bottom to view the last message, but as you can imagine this becomes a problem when you're trying to view older messages.

I need to re-design that aspect of it