9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 7:05 AM by dan-cherry

Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail

Southplank

I'm having a problem emailing documents from Reader 9.3.1 on Windows 7.0 home premium. Windows Live Mail is set as my default email program. Adobe Reader insists on handing off the attachment to Outlook. Outlook is installed, but no email account is set up. I use it for calendar and a contact list. Windows live mail is my default email client. Other programs do the attachment properly to Windows live. Online mail links also properly open Windows Live. Any ideas how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
          370H55V Level 4

Your question is a little confusing. I hope I have this right.

I'm unsure if you're "sending the PDF" to your mail from Reader, or "getting the PDF" from your Live mail.

If you're sending it via Reader, you need to change the preferences for email.

Open the Preferences (Edit>Preferences or CTRL+K)

Go to the Internet link and click Internet settings this will open your Internet Properties.

Click the Programs tab. The last item is Internet Programs. Click Set Programs.

In the Default Programs window, click the Set your default programs link.

Choose Windows Live Mail from the list on the left and click Set this program as default. Click OK

Windows and Reader will send attachments to Live Mail instead of Outlook.

• 2. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
            Southplank Level 1

Yes, I'm sending via reader to my email. As I said, Windows Live is already set as my default mail handler as you describe. Other programs on my computer that have a 'send to email' function all properly open Windows Live and attach the pdf.

• 3. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
              370H55V Level 4

Have you tried setting the default mail program to Outlook, rebooting and then setting it BACK to Live Mail?

• 4. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
                Southplank Level 1

Ok, I just tried that. It stayed with attaching to Outlook when I returned the default to Windows Live. I then tried setting Thunderbird as the default email program.

Reader still persisted in attaching to Outlook with Thunderbird set as default. I set the default back to Windows live , then uninstalled reader and re-installed and it still attaches to Outlook.

• 5. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
                  370H55V Level 4

Hopefully someone else can help.

I had to reload my Win 7 machine last week and I have to reload Office (Outlook) and then reload Windows Live on it to be able to see if there's a setting in either to work aorund this.

That'll take me a few hours.

• 6. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
                    370H55V Level 4

I got Office (2010) and Windows Live installed. Set Windows Live mail as the default mail program and mine goes to Outlook from Reader as well.

Looks like I'll have to keep digging on this one.

Message was edited by: Mac+Win=Me

• 7. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
                      Southplank Level 1

I think I found the fix.  I went to Start-Default Programs.... then instead of going to the usual "set your default programs" button, I went to "Set program access and computer defaults"  I expanded all the catagories and selected 'custom'. There was a button under custom that had 'use my current email' selected. I reselected "windows live mail mail"  button and all is good. I don't fully understand the difference between this and the other default screen, I'll have to read up on it as time permits. Thanks for looking at this with me. 

• 8. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
                        370H55V Level 4

Set program access and defaults sets the default programs at the operating system level, whereas the other only does it at the user level. If there is more than one account set up, they both have to match or the one that is set as default in Program access and defaults will remain default.

• 9. Re: Attach pdf to Windows Live Mail
                          dan-cherry

Thank you all. I have been going crazy trying to sort out this problem sine instaling Win 7 64bit. the changing in custom did the trick, thanks very much